• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

apply now or later?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey all, i'm in sorta a dilemma here. I want to start a job around the same time I start uni next year (which is about march in vic). Thing is, a lot of recruitment going on right now is aimed at hiring casuals for the holiday/christmas period. I'll be away from about december to mid febuary. My question is, should i apply for a job now? I'm hesitant because they might call me up for a few shifts when I'm away, leaving a bit of a bad impression, or even worse, during my exams (like a month before christmas). Is it possible to get a position now, and then just postpone it for like 6 months?!?! I wanna apply for a job at Kmart, Target, Coles etc btw. Advice would be appreciated.

CieL

HSC
Is a job extremely important to you?
As in, will you have to pay bills/fees for yourself?

The thing about the big companies is.. they won't always want you.. even if you apply now, you might not get the job..

They hire all year round anyway..

I went through several phases of interview with ColesMyer back in the days.. and I honestly told them that I wouldnt be available for majority of the xmas period due to hsc and holidays.. I think that was the main reason they didnt hire me for the period.. plus I said alot of stupid shit which made me seem picky.. lol but whatever I was too honest..

I don't see a problem with applying later. [Unless you desperately need the money].. and sometimes their processes take so effing long unless you apply directly towards a certain store, in which the interview takes place with one of the store managers, instead of going thru some gay ass group interviews then individual interviews, and all this utter bullshit..

I personally applied in general... and just left the application there for one whole year before they replied me [dipshits]... during which I went through 3 different jobs already... then they got a group then individual interview, where I was too honest... Failed that... Applied directly another time for a specific store, and started straight away [after quitting my then current job]

HSC
hey CieL, thanks for your reply. i probably wouldn't say having a job is 'extremely' important to me, its important, but not that important haha. i'll be paying off a car during my time in uni, but other than that, the money will probably just be saved and used to buy random stuff.....i think i may go for a rebel sports job (are they in huge demand compared to business's like kmart or coles?) around the same time i start uni.

andy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)