• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Approximating roots / function continuity (2 Viewers)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
In a question where it asks you to show that a root lies between two values, do we really need to make the statement that the function is continuous between these values? If so, can we just assume that it is continuous, or should we actually show it?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Proving it is beyond 3u scope.

mynameisgone

i don't know if i've missed something but to prove a root lies between two values don't u sub each value into the function and it's proved if they are of opposite values, i.e. one positive one negative.
please correct me if im wrong, i don't wanna stuff this up

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You're correct, presuming the function is continuous.

As an example, simply through plugging in values with your method, does a root exist between x=-1 and x=1 on the curve y=1/x?

:)

FinalFantasy

HSC
i just say it's continuous anyway in all those questions even if i dun really know if it is
lol

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If its something like a polynomial then you can be guaranteed its continuous. If its a rational algebraic function (ie. polynomial divided by polynomial) its guaranteed to be continuous everywhere except where the denominator is 0 (eg. Slide Rule's 1/x function). Continuity is preserved through arithmetic, so, for example, adding two continuous functions makes a continuous function, eg. y = x + sinx is continuous everywhere since both x and sinx are continuous. If you remember this then you can always know that most of the functions they will give in the HSC exams are continous

AreYouAlright?

Actuarial Co-op 2006
HSC
It's quite simple to prove a curve is continuous, make sure it adheres to these three conditions.

At the point in consideration (a)
Lim x->a from above: = b
Lim x-->a from below: = b
and f(a) should = b

Hence curve is continuous at a.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)