Architecture (1 Viewer)

AiMz

HSC
Originally posted by angel_kate
I just checked again for the UTS UAI and its listed in the course descriptions, but not in the fee-paying part, which might mean its no running. im not sure, so ud have 2 check it out on the open day.
Yeah, sydney went down from 91.4 to 86.5 - i was SO happy!
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! are you serious???i thought it would sky rocket up to like 95 or sumthing!! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

angel_kate

Sorry Aimz! im a dumb-ass & was looking in the wrong section :(
Its 86.5 if ur paying the full entry fee. :(
Sorry!!!!

Yellow

i want to do architecture too! i wanted to be one since year 6. but aspiring to be one has been an on and off thing throughout my life.

i was dead set on being an architect last year until i had a look at The Good Universities Guide. Have you seen it?

"Australian Good Universities Guide to Australian Universities notes that no architecture course has ever managed to get more than one out of five stars in its ratings!"

so now i'm having doubts. the graduates say that the teaching quality is crap. "They are especially discontented with what they regard as inappropriate workloads, and with a failure by staff to set clear goals and standards for their work."

and you know what? The University of Sydney was the worst rated course.

angel_kate

i heard that sydney was really bad. Well, the UAI at UTS is lower
but its supposed to be a really good course. i wanted 2 go 2 sydney until i realised that i wasnt going 2 get that high! :(

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hmm yeh i had a look at that guide thingy too...

dunno whether i can trust it though? i mean like do u think they surveyed every single architecture student, or just a selection?

yeh it looks really depressing...it's the worst ratings of all the courses, including MATHEMATICS??!?!????!! ahahaha...no offence to people wanting to do mathematics though of course...its just a personal thing!

Yellow

yeh but they say that it's always been like that. and i mean, doing five years full time in university should surely give a higher starting salary than $25000. i can earn more than that without even going to uni.

but designing's my passion so i'm going to stick with it. i just need to choose the uni carefully. does anyone know what the best uni is for architecture?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeh i guess...i met an architect once and he said that the uni course for arch. is kinda a bitch cos is extremely tough and you're in for a long haul, but once you get out its pretty sweet. that's of course presuming you're gonna like designing and that sorta stuff.

as for the best uni i guess it depends on you personally. i want to go to uts cos, firstly, its a lower uai and at this rate it'll be the only one i can get into, but secondly cos although its 6 bloody years, 5 of those are part time. which means that two outta five days of the week you work at some arch. office and get paid and 'make connections', which is always advantageous in the design biz.

umm i guess sydney is prolly the most prestigious course...but prestige isn't everything. like you still need to *learn* while you're at uni, so yellow, if you say that the students at sydney uni say they're lecturers are shit, then i guess some of it must be truth. but they have a really good lbrary there i think, and pretty good facilities.

i have nfi about unsw.

newcastle is sposed to be pretty good for employment too, cos you have some sort of graduation ceremony where you present your final year designs or something and all these important people from all over the place flock to see this exhibition...supposedly. but i guess all the uni's have that. the good thing about newcastle is that the uai is like in the 70's i reckon, so its good for back-up (if you're intending to do a higher-uai thingy)

umm thats all i have to say i guess. don't take my complete word though, im just a dumbarse! :p

angel_kate

oh yeah, johnson - a dumbarse!
Well ur a dumbarse that gets an average of 90 in exams!!! I wish i was that much of a dumbarse!!!!
lol!

Yellow

i'm going to go to the open days and then i'll decide on which one's the best. they say USYD also has good business connections and the people that go there are the ones that get the jobs first.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by angel_kate
oh yeah, johnson - a dumbarse!
Well ur a dumbarse that gets an average of 90 in exams!!! I wish i was that much of a dumbarse!!!!
lol!
umm...90 in exams?! where dyu get that from??!!

ahaha i wish! i dont really know %'s but i know it ain't 90's!!

Yellow

so who went to the open days today at UTS and USyd? i personally found UTS better, they really sold themselves. how about you guys and girls?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeh, the arch. one at uts was the only lecture thingy i went to. i couldn't be stuffed to go to anything else, so i just bludged around with friends instead.

i should gone to sydney instead though, but i was too lazy

uts is like really weird now...u don't have to do part time work now. which sux, cos that's what i was gonna do, do part time uni so that i could earn money and move out. but like now u gotta do full time study and if u wanna work, u still get a heavy workload.

and i don't wanna do that much work dammit! haha

were u at the uts thingie at 11 30 yellow?

there weren't many people there. like <40. i expected heaps more. prolly went to sydney or somethign

Yellow

yeh i went to the 11:30 lecture at UTS. i didn't go to the one in sydney though but i talked to the staff members. they seemed a little snobby.

the professor seemed pretty passionate about architecture in the lecture. where were you seated? i talked to him and this other professor and they were really friendly. and that's really important because most of the teaching will be one-to-one.

yeh with the part time thing, you do the course full time and from the second year onwards, you can choose to do work experience as an elective. i thought that was alright. the teacher also said that they make sure that all their students get a job after they graduate.

did you notice that a lot of the people who attended that lecture were from TAFE?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh gawd, yeh. like everyone seemed to be from tafe, there were like 15 of us high school kids. that's scary. if i get in next year it'd be scary going to uni with all these oldies

haha yeh i was too lazy to go to the syd lecture cos bludging with friends was more fun ... actaully, i thought the uts one was really boring. like its prolly cos i'd had sooo little sleep from doing art major, but still. it just wasn't a particularly enthralling talk.

and how annoying, he didnt answer that q about contact hours each week...i was hoping it'd be a bare minimum...haha im a lazy ass =P

i was...somewhere in the middle

i think i was the only asian guy there

the other asian people in the room left the room. my friends went to the design thingy so they nigelated me =( no one in my grade is doing the same thing as me.

Yellow

boring? alright....

i was at the back and i was probably the only asian girl there! did you see a girl wearing jeans and an orangy knit turtleneck? well, that was me.

one guy at my school wants to be an architect but i doubt we'll be going to the same institutions....

yeh i'm dreading having all older people in the room. so if we do end up going to the same uni, i'll stick with you. if that's alright with you that is!

wut nat are you? and why do you want to be an architect?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)