• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are french tutors essential for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

Blahtooh

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure if I should get one. I mean do you guys know if they actually help alot or are they just good for pushing you along because you're too lazy to do it yourself? :(

el gwapo

HSC
never had one myself but i know from my experience of learning french overseas that it helps keeping conversation with someone in that language outside of the classroom.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
No way! I am opposed to tutoring unless it is actually needed, ie there are a whole lot of girls at school who shouldn't be doing 4u maths as they aren't capable of it but they are getting through the work with their tutors and study 24/7... That is stupid, but if you acutally think you need one then go ahead.

Your teacher may be able to help you, depending on what you think you need the tutor for; if it's reading and writing, you can do practice tasks; if it's for speaking you could possibly ask them to set aside half an hour a week to practice or if it's listening you could ask for past HSC exams and download music to listen to.

There may be other people at your school who can help you as well and see if you can find anything in your library or something. If a tutor does serve as your motivation to work then I guess it could be worth it...

I'm actually tutoring some kids at the moment, and I can say that I do give them an edge by giving them authentic expressions to use that they aren't given in class as well as individual attention and practice in all aspects of the language - reading, writing, listening and speaking. You have a tutor's undivided attention and they, if they haven't done the HSC, are informed about it and can help you with tips and tricks for the exams as well as polishing your language skills.

In the end it's up to you! If you think it could be useful, find a tutor and arrange a couple of 'trial' sessions so that if you don't like them you're not stuck with them! Good luck :)

Danibelle

HSC
I think if you can get motivated enough, you will be able to manage the work by yourself, and if you do need extra help rather than pay for a tutor just ask your teacher if he can spare a half hour to help you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)