• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Are there any techniques in this? (1 Viewer)

axwe7

HSC
N/A
"Someone says she has Alzheimer's and that from time to time they put her in a hospital.

Please tell me if there are any techniques in this sentence,

I was thinking one about the point of view at which someone else looks at events.

^Is there a technique that sums that up?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Repetition- time to time
Alliteration- time to time they, someone says she

Sorry my English is atrocious and that's all I know

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Don't know if this is a technique;
The use of she and her depersonalises the character which implies she is not significant enough to be respectfully acknowledged. It creates an indirect relation between the character and the reader which does not let us empthasise the character's situation.

I could probably write a whole analysis on this but I don't know what the text is about so this is a basic idea haha

Last edited:

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
"Someone says she has Alzheimer's and that from time to time they put her in a hospital.

Please tell me if there are any techniques in this sentence,

I was thinking one about the point of view at which someone else looks at events.

^Is there a technique that sums that up?
You could be looking at metaphor/symbolism as basic links to get your point across.

E.g. the line acts as a metaphor for the apparent disparity in society's behaviour and attitudes towards those who suffer from mental disabilities...

As mentioned above though not sure of the context of the sentence so it's a bit tricky to get the analysis right. I'm assuming this character is suffering from some sort of memory loss and this is a sentence about the 'gossip' that is going around rather than solid evidence.

axwe7

HSC
N/A
You could be looking at metaphor/symbolism as basic links to get your point across.

E.g. the line acts as a metaphor for the apparent disparity in society's behaviour and attitudes towards those who suffer from mental disabilities...

As mentioned above though not sure of the context of the sentence so it's a bit tricky to get the analysis right. I'm assuming this character is suffering from some sort of memory loss and this is a sentence about the 'gossip' that is going around rather than solid evidence.
Yes, your assumption is correct, thank you.

But how would it be a metaphor if the line implies the fact that those who suffer from mental disabilities are continuously discriminated?

What are you comparing?

Last edited:

axwe7

HSC
N/A
Don't know if this is a technique;
The use of she and her depersonalises the character which implies she is not significant enough to be respectfully acknowledged. It creates an indirect relation between the character and the reader which does not let us empthasise the character's situation.

I could probably write a whole analysis on this but I don't know what the text is about so this is a basic idea haha
I understand what your trying to say, but the sense of anonymity (third person) of the protagonist may as well imply that the author may be hinting at large group of people, rather than one person the represent the whole crowd.

In other words, lets take for example, the discrimination against women. Wouldn't you keep the women anonymous in order to create a much more profound impact?

Thanks anyhow.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I understand what your trying to say, but the sense of anonymity (third person) of the protagonist may as well imply that the author may be hinting at large group of people, rather than one person the represent the whole crowd.

In other words, lets take for example, the discrimination against women. Wouldn't you keep the women anonymous in order to create a much more profound impact?

Thanks anyhow.
Didn't really know the context, thought it was leading towards one person.

sida1049

HSC
The quote exhibits the use of anecdotal narrative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)