Are these good subjects? (1 Viewer)

amatterra

HSC
For background info, I'm in Year 10 and we're choosing our subjects for Year 11. Would these subjects be a good combo for scaling and give me a high chance of getting 90+ ATAR if I excel in them and stuff like that?

Main Preferences:
English Standard
Maths Ext 1 or Maths Adv
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Textiles and Design

Reserves:
Economics
CAFS
Ancient or Modern History

Also, can I choose both Maths Ext 1 and Adv? (I didn't ask my teacher this last term and I don't really wanna wait till next term to ask)

eeeunicec

HSC
Do you have an idea of what you wanna do in uni? Some courses have prerequisite subjects, meaning that you have had to study them in school in order to apply. If you do Maths Ext 1 you also do Adv since Adv is 2 units and Ext 1 is 1 unit on top of that, making it 3 units. Hope that makes sense. The only subjects I'd be worried about for scaling would be english standard and textiles and design -- don't let that stop you from doing them though since scaling doesn't affect you as much if you do well in them. :)

amatterra

HSC
Do you have an idea of what you wanna do in uni? Some courses have prerequisite subjects, meaning that you have had to study them in school in order to apply. If you do Maths Ext 1 you also do Adv since Adv is 2 units and Ext 1 is 1 unit on top of that, making it 3 units. Hope that makes sense. The only subjects I'd be worried about for scaling would be english standard and textiles and design -- don't let that stop you from doing them though since scaling doesn't affect you as much if you do well in them. :)
Yes, I wanna do Materials/Mechanical Engineering.

Hmm okay, can you tell me why English Standard and Textiles wouldn't be good subjects for scaling? I like textiles so that gives me a bit of confidence that I will do well in it, but honestly English is my worst subject rn... I mean I'm not bad at it (I get Bs) , I just have bad teachers and it's super annoying cause English is not my first language and I actually enjoyed it when I had a good teacher (but she's on maternal leave now 😭😭)

eeeunicec

HSC
Oh yeah, if English isn't your first language then yeah english standard will be better for you. It's just that for my school it's required for everyone to do English Adv. and everyone I know irl does English Adv+ so yeah my bad you'll be fine. I really like my teacher at the moment so yeah it's unfortunate that your only good teacher is on maternal leave. Go ahead with these subjects! You're confident with textiles and the rest of your subjects scale well. Oh wait I didn't see bio. Sorry to sway your opinion but I hate bio. I wish I dropped it cause it's so content heavy + I am NOT a science girl. I only did bio for the sake of doing a science subject AKLJLDFJASF. I suggest doing Maths Ext 1 and all the other subjects you've mentioned, see how you like it in year 11, and then drop anything you don't like. Hope that helps :)

amatterra

HSC
Oh yeah, if English isn't your first language then yeah english standard will be better for you. It's just that for my school it's required for everyone to do English Adv. and everyone I know irl does English Adv+ so yeah my bad you'll be fine. I really like my teacher at the moment so yeah it's unfortunate that your only good teacher is on maternal leave. Go ahead with these subjects! You're confident with textiles and the rest of your subjects scale well. Oh wait I didn't see bio. Sorry to sway your opinion but I hate bio. I wish I dropped it cause it's so content heavy + I am NOT a science girl. I only did bio for the sake of doing a science subject AKLJLDFJASF. I suggest doing Maths Ext 1 and all the other subjects you've mentioned, see how you like it in year 11, and then drop anything you don't like. Hope that helps :)
THANK YOUU, this really helped :hug2: I currently like Bio in Year 10 but we'll see how I go in Year 11. Thanks again!!!

eeeunicec

HSC
No problem!!! Bio does get a bit boring but it's much more fun in year 12 since you get to look at infectious diseases and stuff. Wish you the best, you got this!!! :)

spiderfan44

HSC
For background info, I'm in Year 10 and we're choosing our subjects for Year 11. Would these subjects be a good combo for scaling and give me a high chance of getting 90+ ATAR if I excel in them and stuff like that?

Main Preferences:
English Standard
Maths Ext 1 or Maths Adv
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Textiles and Design

Reserves:
Economics
CAFS
Ancient or Modern History

Also, can I choose both Maths Ext 1 and Adv? (I didn't ask my teacher this last term and I don't really wanna wait till next term to ask)
i wouldnt worry too much about scaling for textiles and design and if youre a student who does really well in it and ranks high. i take food technology, a subject with the worst scaling of any subject. however i rank 1st and average 98 on assignemnts. scaling doesnt affect you much if youre ranking 1st or 2nd and doing really well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)