• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

are u allowed to use 4u techniques on a 2u paper? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

^___^
HSC
yeah, i think you are allow to, there was a thread on it somewhere a while back

but what topic can u use it on???

Trev

stix
HSC
Why bother using 4unit techniques on a 2unit paper? We don't do the mathematics hsc paper so who cares? Even the internal ones, why even bother in them, they aren't counting! :p

FinalFantasy

HSC
but we do the 3unit, the example i showed is 3unit
maybe a 3unit q. can get hard and it's easier to do w\ 4u technique or something..
anyway im just wondering if u CAN use it and not get marks taken off=P

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, but always try to use techniques from the relevant mathematics or lower first.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You also can't use higher level (or any other) techniques if the question specifies the technique to be used.

FinalFantasy

HSC
k thx, juz wondering cuz our stupid 2\3UNIT maths teacher at school once said that u can't use 3unit permutation\combination to do 2unit probability q's or you'll get marks taken off or something like that lol

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Yes, but always try to use techniques from the relevant mathematics or lower first.
Absolutely not. :p If the problem doesn't specify a technique, then you should use the best (i.e. most efficient) technique you have in your inventory. If that happens to be outside the syllabus, then so be it...they shouldn't be able to take marks off you. :)

(My $0.02, of course, I've never actually written to the BoS to ask about it, but I've had this discussion with several teachers in the past.)

FinalFantasy

HSC
alphatango said:
Absolutely not. :p If the problem doesn't specify a technique, then you should use the best (i.e. most efficient) technique you have in your inventory. If that happens to be outside the syllabus, then so be it...they shouldn't be able to take marks off you. :)

(My $0.02, of course, I've never actually written to the BoS to ask about it, but I've had this discussion with several teachers in the past.)
wow, u can even use stuff not in any of the 2\3\4unit syllabus?

FinalFantasy

HSC
heres one i can think of
prove cos²x+sin²x=1
let z=cos x+isinx
cos x=(z+z^-1)\2
sinx=(z-z^-1)\2i
LHS=cos²x+sin²x
=(z²+2+z^-2)\4 + (z²-2+z^-2)\4i²
=(z²+2+z^-2-z²+2-z^-2)\4
=4\4=1
lol

hasterz

HSC
of course your allowed to .. you can use 4th year university mathematics or FIAA actuarial math for probability if you wanted to ... unless if a question says to use a specific technique (eg using this substition) or "without calculus".

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
FinalFantasy said:
wow, u can even use stuff not in any of the 2\3\4unit syllabus?
No reason you shouldn't be able to. *points to the quote for one of the sub-forums*:

"Students will develop appreciation of the scope, usefulness, beauty and elegance of mathematics."

If you can find an elegant way to do it, obscure or otherwise, then to me that's as good as, if not better than, the given answer.

Trev

stix
HSC
hasterz said:
of course your allowed to .. you can use 4th year university mathematics or FIAA actuarial math for probability if you wanted to ... unless if a question says to use a specific technique (eg using this substition) or "without calculus".
Anyone up for it? I'm certainly not :rolleyes: heh.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Im sure it's legitimate.. i dropped down from 3 to 2 units
Then we had a test, i used some 3u ways :) and happy with a mark of 97% The teacher didn't care

B

badhairday

I cant see why you cant use 4u techniques on a 2u paper.
So long as you get the right answer in the end and that you have the proper setting out, i think acceptable

DistantCube

HSC
You can, as long as its mathematically legitimate you can. Infact you can use any mathematically legitimate techniques.

However, why use 4u techs in a 2u paper, chances are you will complicate it for yourself and create more room for simple algebraic error etc.

Hobbsee

HSC
It seems that you can use any method you like for answering questions, as has been stated above, but teachers tend not to make a question in 2 unit that can be answered quicker/easier with a 3 unit technique...

Now, as for the 4 unit people here - why are you doing the 2 unit papers? We dont have to do them at all? Are you forced to? We had to do the first assessment, but nothing else....he realised that almost all people in the class only have 10 units, so they cant drop anyway (we have 6 people)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)