Are you studying BA? Please give advice! (1 Viewer)

greengirl01

HSC
:read:
Hi guys,
I'm a year 12 student probably going to apply for Bachelor of Arts at Sydney next year, but a bit lost about which subjects to do.
If are doing BA, any advice would be great, such as subject and unit reviews, and ones to avoid, etc....

Any subjects are useful but particularly ENGLISH, HISTORY, ANTHROPOLOGY, FRENCH, SPANISH, LINGUISTICS, SOCIOLOGY or PHILOSOPHY.

Also if you do a language, is it better to concentrate on one? (I'm doing french at HSC but never done any others).

Thank you in advance, absolutely any thing you have to advise would be great.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
As far as unit reviews go I would check the subject review thread (http://community.boredofstudies.org/114/university-sydney/95874/subject-reviews-pdf-compilation.html); BOS members have contributed a number of reviews over the years in order to inform people about what to expect from certain units. Also, the Student Representative Council has released a Counter-Course Handbook with general reviews on subject areas (http://issuu.com/honi_soit/docs/counter-course-2014-online_4e7be4895d93d5). As you can probably tell, it's full of a lot of mad lefty propaganda, but it is easy enough to sort through the bullshit :).

As far as languages go, they are most likely the heaviest arts subject work wise you could possibly do. So while learning more than one language would be great, I wouldn't do more than one if you're not able to make a strong enough commitment to study.

Best of luck with your HSC :).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
:read:
Hi guys,
I'm a year 12 student probably going to apply for Bachelor of Arts at Sydney next year, but a bit lost about which subjects to do.
If are doing BA, any advice would be great, such as subject and unit reviews, and ones to avoid, etc....

Any subjects are useful but particularly ENGLISH, HISTORY, ANTHROPOLOGY, FRENCH, SPANISH, LINGUISTICS, SOCIOLOGY or PHILOSOPHY.

Also if you do a language, is it better to concentrate on one? (I'm doing french at HSC but never done any others).

Thank you in advance, absolutely any thing you have to advise would be great.
ahahahahahah fak lmfao arts ahahahaha usyd rofl

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
It's because he likes to make jokes, obviously.

Last edited:

greengirl01

HSC
As far as unit reviews go I would check the subject review thread (http://community.boredofstudies.org/114/university-sydney/95874/subject-reviews-pdf-compilation.html); BOS members have contributed a number of reviews over the years in order to inform people about what to expect from certain units. Also, the Student Representative Council has released a Counter-Course Handbook with general reviews on subject areas (http://issuu.com/honi_soit/docs/counter-course-2014-online_4e7be4895d93d5). As you can probably tell, it's full of a lot of mad lefty propaganda, but it is easy enough to sort through the bullshit :).

As far as languages go, they are most likely the heaviest arts subject work wise you could possibly do. So while learning more than one language would be great, I wouldn't do more than one if you're not able to make a strong enough commitment to study.

Best of luck with your HSC :).
Thanks a million Amleops.

Last edited:

greengirl01

HSC
why a BA what do you want to do long term?
Not 100% sure, maybe teaching, but I don't want to commit to education, and BA just seems to have all the hummanities I'm interested in. Employment for BA (or lack of) is obviously a bit of a joke so a teaching diploma after is probably the way I'll go.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Why would you spend $20K+ for an arts degree to learn a language? Dulingo is free

Wait; better question: Why would one do an arts degree? lel

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Why would you spend $20K+ for an arts degree to learn a language? Dulingo is free

What's wrong with an Arts degree? It's called "Arts"? Don't forget that some physics majors are doing a BA.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

To learn something interesting tbh.

I think I'll do one after my LLM if I have time or maybe after I retire at least. I really regret not doing an Arts degree. Business/Commerce degrees are the real joke. Business/Commerce students are easily 150x more useless and stupid than the average Arts student and just hold onto Arts bashing to validate themselves.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
To learn something interesting tbh.

I think I'll do one after my LLM if I have time or maybe after I retire at least. I really regret not doing an Arts degree. Business/Commerce degrees are the real joke. Business/Commerce students are easily 150x more useless and stupid than the average Arts student and just hold onto Arts bashing to validate themselves.
But to spend that much on something that's interesting? I can see so but I would not expect a career out of it.

But business/commerce would be useful in the real world? As opposed to arts where you don't need Shakespeare handy everyday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)