• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Arts Electives! (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Heya, I'm a UTS student but next year and the year after I'll probaby be taking all my electives at USYD because the Arts electives at UTS literally suck donkey wang. Literally.

Anyways, I was looking at some of the electives and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what the content was like, how it was taught, what are the lecturers like and stuff. Anyways, here is some of what I was looking at choosing from for next year:

ARHT1001 - Art & Experience: The European Tradition
ARHT1002 - Modern Times: Art and Film
CLCV1001 - Classical Mythology
CLSS1002 - Greece and Rome in Performance
ENGL2001 - Arthurian Literature
ENGL2007 - Drama: Classical to Renaissance
ENGL2049 - The World of Fantasy
ENGL2048 - Literature of Travel and Discovery
PSYC1001 - Psychology 1001
PSYC1002 - Psychology 1002

So any opinions? Also...considering USYD doesn't release its timetable till like a week or so after I'd be locked into my UTS one, would anyone know which of the above subjects have repeat lecture sessions and multiple tutes to choose from? As that could prevent some nasty problems.

HSC
N/A
Does UTS even have an Arts degree? I remember looking into that and not finding one. I know you guys have something like Arts in Communications or something.
Psychology in USYD is considered a science subject, but is offered to Arts students. I'm not sure what that means for you as a UTS student. You should call up the Arts faculty at USYD and they should be able to explain how all that works. I had trouble with them though.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well I know how the procedure works to pick out electives at other unis, that hurdle is already sorted. I just wanted to find out about these units from a students perspective basically. My only real problem with the psych stuff is that UTS might consider it too sciencey, but I have to apply before I find that out.

And the UTS BA (Communications) degree is an Arts degree, albeit a focused one - much like USYD's BA (Media & Communications) or BA (Informatics).

HSC
N/A
kami said:
And the UTS BA (Communications) degree is an Arts degree, albeit a focused one - much like USYD's BA (Media & Communications) or BA (Informatics).
Yeah thats what I thought. Well I'm doing psych 1001 and 1002 (next semester) and it's really interesting. But everyone says that about psychology - "it's interesting." 1001 and 1002 covers a lot of sub topics in psychology like statistics, neuroscience, social psych, abnormal, personality etc etc. It's just a general introduction to the main areas of psychology, as far as I can see. It's not too difficult either. Psych is really popular, I know a lot of people doing it.
I would've loved to have done something on art history/theory though. Sounds really good, but I don't have any spare units for such electives :(.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The_Apprentice said:
Yeah thats what I thought. Well I'm doing psych 1001 and 1002 (next semester) and it's really interesting. But everyone says that about psychology - "it's interesting." 1001 and 1002 covers a lot of sub topics in psychology like statistics, neuroscience, social psych, abnormal, personality etc etc. It's just a general introduction to the main areas of psychology, as far as I can see. It's not too difficult either. Psych is really popular, I know a lot of people doing it.
Cool.
What are the lecturers/tutors like for it? Do they explain things well or are they pretty useless? And do you have to do many research reports?

The_Apprentice said:
I would've loved to have done something on art history/theory though. Sounds really good, but I don't have any spare units for such electives .
Dump commerce and take up art history. Go on, it'd be hawt.;)

HSC
N/A
kami said:
Cool.
What are the lecturers/tutors like for it? Do they explain things well or are they pretty useless? And do you have to do many research reports?
Most lecturers are awesome. Especially for social psych. A couple are a bit boring with their presentations but on the whole the lecturers are great. We have to do an essay worth 40% but no report (at least for 1001).

kami said:
Dump commerce and take up art history. Go on, it'd be hawt.;)
OMG, how do you know I do commerce :eek: ? Well I'm actually considering dropping commerce because I can't handle the core compulsory units atm. Maybe I'll try to transfer to economics as a social science, I doubt I'd have the marks to get into commerce liberal like I planned to.
I miss art history from hsc visual art :), that was fun.

@ brogan: Hey sweetie!:eek:

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The_Apprentice said:
Most lecturers are awesome. Especially for social psych. A couple are a bit boring with their presentations but on the whole the lecturers are great. We have to do an essay worth 40% but no report (at least for 1001).
Sweet! My friend doing psych at UNSW has all these icky reports for psych and I swore I wouldn't touch reports again *shudders*

The_Apprentice said:
OMG, how do you know I do commerce :eek: ? Well I'm actually considering dropping commerce because I can't handle the core compulsory units atm. Maybe I'll try to transfer to economics as a social science, I doubt I'd have the marks to get into commerce liberal like I planned to.
I miss art history from hsc visual art :), that was fun.
haha - its my mysterious stalkage powah! I knows everything:p
Maybe you should go for BA majoring in something commercey from the Table B thingo...you know you want to.;)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Evan: I can't help you on what subjects you should do, but I can help you regarding timetabling.

Go to http://web.timetable.usyd.edu.au/venuebookings/uosCalendar.jsp?format=table&noLogin=1

and type in the Unit of Study Code you are interested in. It'll come up with a list of lecture and tutorial times for the subject, which, at the very least, will give you an idea of when you'll need to be on campus.

Oh, and serves you right for going to UTS. You know we're better, thats why you're crawling to us for advice ;) Nah, seriously, good luck with it all.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
Evan: I can't help you on what subjects you should do, but I can help you regarding timetabling.

Go to http://web.timetable.usyd.edu.au/venuebookings/uosCalendar.jsp?format=table&noLogin=1

and type in the Unit of Study Code you are interested in. It'll come up with a list of lecture and tutorial times for the subject, which, at the very least, will give you an idea of when you'll need to be on campus.
Susan - mod by day, sex goddess of the sahara by night and helpful always.:D

ujuphleg said:
Oh, and serves you right for going to UTS. You know we're better, thats why you're crawling to us for advice ;) Nah, seriously, good luck with it all.
Careful Susan, the concrete cock hears all:eek:
>.>
<.<

And thankies.:)

{oh, and thankie too to the apprentice}

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
kami said:
Susan - mod by day, sex goddess of the sahara by night and helpful always. :D
All part of the service ;)

P.S. Our sandstone cock is sexier than your concrete one...

<------ *points to av*

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
All part of the service ;)

P.S. Our sandstone cock is sexier than your concrete one...

<------ *points to av*
But ours is bigger.:D

P.S. Joo should cum to the meat Susan. Ameh wants to have sxc fun time with you.;)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Bigger is not always better Evan. Surely you should know its not the size of the tower, its how you use it ;)

As for the meet - we'll see. I'm undecided yet as my sidekicks are bailing on me.

Ok, now back on topic.

Why don't you do Philosophy Evan? You'd suit it, you know, all the big words to throw around, abstract discourses on epistemology and the meaning of life...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
Bigger is not always better Evan. Surely you should know its not the size of the tower, its how you use it ;)

As for the meet - we'll see. I'm undecided yet as my sidekicks are bailing on me.

Ok, now back on topic.

Why don't you do Philosophy Evan? You'd suit it, you know, all the big words to throw around, abstract discourses on epistemology and the meaning of life...
I'll be your sidekick!:D

Though maybe that'd be a tad awkward since I'm like a foot and a half taller...maybe ladder is a more appropriate position.:p

And I've been seriously considering philosophy, but I just have no idea what the hell its on about in the UoS guide thingy...the description is like someone randomly waffling using the subject title as a central theme.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
ameh said:
P.P.S. Shh-peak for yourself Evan. :(
I'm so hurt Amy!! *cries* :(

:):p

kami said:
And I've been seriously considering philosophy, but I just have no idea what the hell its on about in the UoS guide thingy...the description is like someone randomly waffling using the subject title as a central theme.
Yep, thats about right. Philosophy can be looked at in two sections I suppose

The Waffly School: Metaphysics, Aesthetics, Epistemology
The Less Waffly School: Political Philosophy, Logic, Philosophy of Science etc.

Ethics fits into either basket, depending on your perspective. Whichever your prefer though, first year PHIL lumps them into a pick and mix course, and you have to do first year in order to do second.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
Yep, thats about right. Philosophy can be looked at in two sections I suppose

The Waffly School: Metaphysics, Aesthetics, Epistemology
The Less Waffly School: Political Philosophy, Logic, Philosophy of Science etc.

Ethics fits into either basket, depending on your perspective. Whichever your prefer though, first year PHIL lumps them into a pick and mix course, and you have to do first year in order to do second.
Which is part of the problem I suppose - I don't have much room to maneuver so if I decide to do phil to get to the second year stuff that means every elective I have will be devoted to it which could get frightful if its not as fun as I hope it would be.

EDIT: Though logic does sound rather intriguing, what was that like?

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
kami said:
Which is part of the problem I suppose - I don't have much room to maneuver so if I decide to do phil to get to the second year stuff that means every elective I have will be devoted to it which could get frightful if its not as fun as I hope it would be.

EDIT: Though logic does sound rather intriguing, what was that like?
Again, I can't give you the specifics. You'd be better off asking Justin, he did first year logic (and he enjoyed it alot by all accounts)

I'm happier sticking to my political philosophy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)