Arts Informatics - What's it all about? (1 Viewer)

natrap

2 queries here.
Firstly what is Arts Informatics all about?
It's only 4 years so it doesn't seem to be a double/combined degree.
Is the Informatics component similar to Computer/Software Engineering or Computer Science and Technology?
Is it done out of the Science or Engineering faculty?
Is there compulsory maths and physics like in the other computing degrees?
Do you still do as many Arts subjects as in a straight Arts degree?

My second query is regarding transferring.
If I start Arts Informatics and am not enjoying the Informatics component can I transfer into straight Arts and then have just 2 years to go?
Would it be an internal transfer or would I have to go through UAC?
Could I transfer after 1st semester or only after 1st year?
Would it be based on my UAI and/or my grade point average?
My UAI is high enough for Arts based on 2003 UAI but the cut-off may rise above my UAI (84.10).
What kind of GPA would I need?

Hope someone can answer these questions soon as preferences have to be finalised by the 5th January.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
arts informatics is a degree with you have a major in INFORMATION SYSTEMS and another major from the ARTS faculty. you can also have another major if you can fit it in! its run by the ARTS FACULTY and there are no compulsory math/stats units involved. its not based so much on comp sci but its meant to give you those communication and analytical skills in the humanities that the comp sci degree lacks! and yes the only compulsory component in the degree is the INFORMATION SYSTEMS major and the ARTS major.. the rest of the units are your too chose from anywhere from the uni!

regarding the transfer, you have to apply thru UAC to transfer from informatics to just arts because i think the arts cut off is higher than the informatics cut off!! and you would still get credits for the units already done!! and like with the rest of usyd, you can only trasnfer after 1 year of study and the transfer is based on your UAI and your GPA. i'm not sure on what GPA you woul dneed! sorry..

natrap

I was considering it over Arts but I decided to do Arts/Law at UNE.

s2ophie

HSC
my cousin did it for a year but is now dropping out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)