• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Arts/Law at UNSW/USyd (1 Viewer)

~Kat~

Hey I was wondering about ppl's opinions on the whole UNSW/USyd debate... I have a friend who did Arts at USyd and then did Graduate Law at UNSW. He recommends UNSW if you want to come out as a lawyer, but USyd has a better Arts faculty... then why is the UAI cut off for USyd higher than USyd? (Is it just more competitive or something?)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
This has been discussed before, however here is a short answer:

1. USyd and UNSW Law are two very good law schools, the law quality is pretty much the same. Note that prestige-wise, USyd is somewhat higher.

2. USyd arts is very good and well established and I would think it superior in philosophy and English, though those are the only two I have experienced at both USyd and UNSW.

3. If your focus is solely to become a lawyer, I recommend choosing USyd purely for the slight prestige advantage. However either one will give you the best opportunities to work for large firms.

4. The cut-off is based on demand, however sometimes universities adjust the cut-off (it has been suggested that there has been a little bit of shonky cut-off raising, but this seems to be just speculation).

~Kat~

Ok thanks heaps for replying! Yep as you can see I'm only pretty new here and haven't checked out the whole site ;)

stamos

sellout
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
(it has been suggested that there has been a little bit of shonky cut-off raising, but this seems to be just speculation).
which course did you hear that about?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
usyd combined law. artificially maintaining the cutoff at 99.6 for ages ~_____~

X

xeuyrawp

§eraphim said:
usyd combined law. artificially maintaining the cutoff at 99.6 for ages ~_____~
I never understood that argument. What's your point? ANU artificially maintains their cutoff at a nice rounded number of 95- in fact, macquarie could be argued to do the same thing by changing the amount of spaces in their degree. Say they feel like only having 200 people, they could make the cutoff 99.90- that would be artificial, as is saying "well, we only want 1000 people, let's make it 96.5"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)