• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Arts/law degree (1 Viewer)

Jillby

hey everyone, i am currently year 12 at Macarthur Anglican School, i'm interested in doing a combined arts/law degree so if anyone who does it would like to tell me about it - what kind of things you learn how the combining part of it works, what UAI you needed etc that would be greatly appreciated!!
thankyou :)

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
Hi Jillby,
I do Arts - Psychology / Law @ Macquarie and I can say that I'm enjoying the degree quite a lot apart from the compulsory statistics unit. This semester I am doing:
Jurisprudence (the philosophy of law...which is, in my opinion, really darn interesting. We study stuff like the theories of what the law is and what our legal system is. How do morals affect our legal system etc...)
Introduction to Psychology I - we're currently learning about the way messsages are sent through our brain, how are brain works etc..
Introduction to Statistics - Boring and stupid basic mathetmatics which I really HATE
Critical Thinking - So far it's nice because it's slow-paced, although I think the things I learn in this unit will be useful for me.

Pretty much in the Arts/Law degree you'll choose a major for Arts and all your core units will focus around that area. The only compulsory Law units for Year 1 is Jurisprudence and Torts/Legal History. In addition to these units you will do your arts units which will, depending on your degree, most likely take up your 12 unit semester. However, if you have some free space (like me), then you will get a choice of an elective (mine was critical thinking).

The combining part? Well it's not really "combined". It's more like you're doing two seperate degrees at the same time. Rarely do you see an intersection of the diferent subjects. Just think of it as two seperate degrees which you will combine in your head, which you'll use the individual skills to benefit you in some way.

UAI cut off I believe is between 95.1 and 99.4. However, most law courses range from 95 to 96 and the only extra high course is Actuarial Studies / Law.

Hope the information helped you!

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
One more thing, if you want information go to one of our open days (I think it's later this year). Then ask the academic advisors on the day what you'll have to do for Arts/Law and ask them about what each unit is like.

Belinda

O_o
HSC
Like highpingbastard, I'm also doing Psych/law. However, being not as enthusiastic as him, I have to warn, be ready for <b>LOTS OF READING FOR LAW</b>. As in, up to 80 pages for a week, and it's terribly easy to fall behind. It's not as straightforward as say, Legal Studies in HS, all that wording gets used to. However, if you're interesting in law, as in the subject and not just liking the sound of the degree, then by all means go for it!

It also depends on what you want to major in your art's degree. I'm doing psych too, and that's a heap of fun. You have a couple of credit points left over to pick up other misc subjects.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Any one doing B Com + B law?
I wanna transfer to that :D

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
GPA of 2.0
18 cp's
Fill quota and sub requirements for B Com ( Non LLB section)

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
Are you sure the GPA is just 2.0?

cos thats llike the GPA for less regarded stuff such as enginering and stuff

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
yep, its 2.0
Some then conclude that Law at Macq isn't very good.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
You have to file for transfering degree i think ...the green one.

GPA of 2.0 means all passes
and its a completion of 18cps to do LAW113/103 which means you can take these SM1 2nd year - therfore technically transfering you to the LLB degree.

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
I talked to a Macquarie lawyer on the weekend and he said that Macquarie law isn't as respected as Usyd or UNSW law for the reason that it isn't as practical. Instead, Macquarie law focuses on all these socio-political factors and so it's more like a social science.

Personally, that's what I like about the degree

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
To transfer into law:

It's AT LEAST a GPA of 2 and they also base 50% on your UAI. So you don't need a GPA so high you get nosebleeds (i.e. 4) if you have a UAI close to the law cut-off.

I doubt that a 2.0 would cut it though... It's getting tougher and tougher every year to transfer into combined law.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeah, thats true - if GPA is set at 2.0 - then for transfering applicants - they take those who have higher GPA/UAI results. Instead of setting a benchmark if you will.

santaslayer

HSC
a gpa of 2.0 is nly aplied to internal transfers....external transfers are different thing altogether

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
I was thinking of tranferring to Arts/Law (from Arts - Psychology/Law)...can I do this half-year even though I'm in first year?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Originally posted by highpingbastard
I talked to a Macquarie lawyer on the weekend and he said that Macquarie law isn't as respected as Usyd or UNSW law for the reason that it isn't as practical. Instead, Macquarie law focuses on all these socio-political factors and so it's more like a social science.

Personally, that's what I like about the degree
Practical in the sense of getting work experience ?

Originally posted by santaslayer
a gpa of 2.0 is nly aplied to internal transfers....external transfers are different thing altogether
We know you wanna join MQ :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)