• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ASIC ups the ante in search for top grads (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
On the government theme, ASIC is looking for 2007 Graduates (with Commerce/Business/Accounting or Law degrees). In Professional services terms (i.e. package wise including super), the salary is 58K + Performance Bonus.

Ok, still nowhere near Investment Banking, but very high for Accountants and Lawyers.

Tempting? Or would you prefer Big 4 at 43-48K? Are you more into short term or long term gain, keeping in mind noone at ASIC earns more than the Big 4 Partner average of 700K.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I don't really know about what kinda role an accountant would play at ASIC, but I can see it being a tad narrow over time. An accounting firm (not necessarily Big 4's and probably more likely in a mid-tier) give you that option I believe, if you really want it.

Nonetheless, the 58K+ is very nice. Could be a good place if they help you with your CA and you can move on after 4-ish years.

turtleface

HSC
tacky said:
I really do hope ASIC attracts better quality graduates because the bunch of clowns they have running the place now ought to be sacked - the lot of them.

I have never come across such an incompetent governent authority in my life - the standard and calibre of people working their from the top down is atrotious - pretty much on par with the people running cityrail (apologees to cityrail).
lol tacky cracks me up with his frank opinions.

redruM said:
I don't really know about what kinda role an accountant would play at ASIC, but I can see it being a tad narrow over time. An accounting firm (not necessarily Big 4's and probably more likely in a mid-tier) give you that option I believe, if you really want it.
velox said:
Forensic accounting perhaps?
Yeah I'm not sure either. Forensic work probably comes into it in some divisions. Theres a lot of compliance, and assessing submitted reports , as well as devising reporting/policy statements, ASIC interpretations on standards etc.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
On the government theme, ASIC is looking for 2007 Graduates (with Commerce/Business/Accounting or Law degrees). In Professional services terms (i.e. package wise including super), the salary is 58K + Performance Bonus.

Ok, still nowhere near Investment Banking, but very high for Accountants and Lawyers.

Tempting? Or would you prefer Big 4 at 43-48K? Are you more into short term or long term gain, keeping in mind noone at ASIC earns more than the Big 4 Partner average of 700K.
Quite tempting imho.

I don't think a lot of people place much weighting on equity partner salaries when applying for a grad job.

I notice a lot don't even look that far into the horizon. They plan more for the next 2 to 3 years.

In any case, if they plan beyond that, it's more of an aspiration. And as far as aspirations go, I've noticed most people don't envisage themselves working in a multinational corporation by 40.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
tacky said:
I really do hope ASIC attracts better quality graduates because the bunch of clowns they have running the place now ought to be sacked - the lot of them.

I have never come across such an incompetent governent authority in my life - the standard and calibre of people working their from the top down is atrotious - pretty much on par with the people running cityrail (apologees to cityrail).

If ASIC is the corporate watchdog - then who is watching the watch dog?

I don't what it is - maybe they attract the reject accounting, finance and law students who couldn't make big 4, ib, mallesons, etc. Maybe its run by graduates from the macquarie university of entrepreneurship. Dont know. But what ever it is they simply do not have a clue about what they are doing over there.

I will not get into specifics as that would be subjudicy. Ill just leave it at that.
Apologies :)

jpr333

HSC
Public servants, you pay for what you get... But yeah their corporate lawyers are a joke.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
velox said:
Forensic accounting perhaps?
Forensic Accounting during the first couple of years is a lot of mundane data work (not interesting data manipulation or any modelling) and excel monkey work. It gets interesting when you reach Manager level. This is coming from the partner and Senior Manager at a Insolvency and Forensic Accounting firm.

I also thought that Forensic Accounting was exciting, but was really put back by what was said to me during my interview and even from their personalities. It reminded me of people in tax (generalisation I know, but I think you get the point).

It might be different at ASIC, don't know.

turtleface

HSC
Forensic Accounting during the first couple of years is a lot of mundane data work (not interesting data manipulation or any modelling) and excel monkey work. It gets interesting when you reach Manager level. This is coming from the partner and Senior Manager at a Insolvency and Forensic Accounting firm.

I also thought that Forensic Accounting was exciting, but was really put back by what was said to me during my interview and even from their personalities. It reminded me of people in tax (generalisation I know, but I think you get the point).
After looking up the word, I've finally found out what Foresic means lol
Not dead bodies, crime scenes, CSI at all. Turns out to mean "to do with the courts"

so in a way all barristers, and solicitors sitting in to a court are Forensic Lawyers lol. So Forensic Investigators and Forensic Accountants are called such, cause their evidence is used in court.

Juries are Forensic thingys too lol. Hey, I'm a forensic thingy if I rock up to court as well I think. The crims would be forensic specimens I guess.

Still, I guess it would sound cool to your mates, "I'm a forensic Accountant at the FBI or something"

Speaking of which, FBI requires at least 15% of its Special Agent intake to be Accountants :)
A few Accountants have been the head of the FBI too

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)