• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Asus or Toshiba (1 Viewer)

mednerd

HSC
N/A
Hey
i came across 2 laptops and i was just wondering which one u guys think is the better

ASUS F2F
Processor :Intel Pentium Yonah T2050 Dual Core 1.6Ghz Platform : Mobile Dual Core Chipset : Intel 945GM Memory :512MB DDR2 667 Display : 15" XGA (1024 x 768) VGA : Integrated Intel 945GM VGA Audio : Integrated 3D Audio Hard Disk : SATA 80GB Optical Drive : DVD-RW (Super Multi 4x with Double Layer) Communication :V.92 56K Fax/Modem, 10/100 Base T Wireless :802.11 b/g, WIFI Bluetooth :OPTION Camera :Integrated 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera Card Reader :4 in 1 Card Reader Operating Software : - Weight :2.7Kg (With Battery) Color :Black Warranty : 2 Year Global Delivery : Within 7 days from finalising the sale After Sales Service :By Asus Centre

OR

TOSHIBA Satellite M100-P1121E Notebook
Processor : Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology including Intel Core Duo Processor T2250 (1.73GHz, 533Mhz FSB), Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network) Chipset : Intel 945GM Cache : 2 MB L2 integrated Memory : 512MB DDR2 SDRAM (Expandable up to 4096 MB) Display : 14" (200NIT) WXGA TFT display with CSV Technology Floppy Disk Drive (OPTIONAL) : External 1.44MB FDD ( Non-Toshiba) Optical Drive : DVD SuperMulti Double Layer Drive Hard Disk : 80GB Serial ATA Wireless : Integrated Wireless LAN 802. 11a/b/g
Wired Communication : 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN, International 56Kbps modem
Key Board : 85-Key Ergonomic Spill-resistant Keyboard, Touch pad Windows ® key, Application Key & Hot Key Functions, Internet Launch button, Direct CD/DVD quick play button Interfaces : RGB, USB 2.0 x 4, 5-in-1 card reader (supports SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMedia Card, XD-picture Card), External Microphone (monaural), Headphone (stereo) RJ-11, RJ45, i.LINK (IEEE1394) S-video TV-out Dc-in VGA : Intel 945GM intergrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 upto-128MB of shared video memory
Expansions : PC Card slot for 1x Type II card, 2 memory slots. Sound : Realtek ALC2861 software sound,16 bit stereo SoundBlaster Pro and Windows Sound System Compatible, Built in harman/kardon stereo speakers, SRS TruSurround XT sound support, Direct 3D Sound, Full Duplex and MIDI support, high definition audio support Battery Type/Life : Rechargeable 6-Cell Lithium-ion battery, up to 3.2hours of battery life Operating System : Microsoft ® Windows XP Home Edition Weight : 2.26kg Warranty : 1 year Parts & Labour International Carry-in Warranty, (1 year on Battery) Excludes software viruses Delivery : Within 7 days from finalising the sale After Sales Service : On-site service by dedicated Toshiba technical staff.

also does the DVD RW Multi mean that it can play CDROMS as well?
One of the reviews for the toshiba said that its not good playing games...what do guys reckon ..will it play games like quake4 etc fast enough? btw what does duo core mean...is it like twice
also is intel graphics as good as ATI for video memory?

please make other comments as well!

thanks

Last edited:

Dark Phoenix

HSC
duo core simply means twice the processing power. but if u really want to play games u have to check the graphics card. to be honest i cant really tell which graphics card is the better one, but i usually go for toshiba coz they are pretty reliable.

mednerd

HSC
N/A
oh yeah....same price also i suppose a duo is faster than a centrino rite?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah duo is faster than centrino
personally id go with toshiba...i think they have a better reputation as a leading brand in notebooks than asus but thats not to say asus is crap.
for me if i was to choose between those two id pick the toshiba

Collin

HSC
N/A
Core 2 Duo is the newest Intel processor. Core Duo is last generation, although still impressive in terms of performance.

Dark Phoenix said:
duo core simply means twice the processing power.
Wrong. Dual-core processors allow you to take a performance advantage in situations where multi-tasking is required.

azn_gangsta81 said:
yeah duo is faster than centrino
Centrino is a platform-marketing initiative from Intel, NOT a processor. To say that 'Duo is faster than Centrino' makes no sense in more than one level.

As for which laptop, I would go for the Toshiba, if prices were similar. It has better specs (Core Duo 1.6GHz vs. 1.73GHz) and the WXGA+ LCD to me personally is much better than XGA.

None of those laptops will handle many of today's games, since they are both based on Intel's integrated graphics chipsets. Forget about Quake IV. Keep in mind however the ASUS has a longer international warranty.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
Collin said:
Core 2 Duo is the newest Intel processor. Core Duo is last generation, although still impressive in terms of performance.

Wrong. Dual-core processors allow you to take a performance advantage in situations where multi-tasking is required.

Centrino is a platform-marketing initiative from Intel, NOT a processor. To say that 'Duo is faster than Centrino' makes no sense in more than one level.

As for which laptop, I would go for the Toshiba, if prices were similar. It has better specs (Core Duo 1.6GHz vs. 1.73GHz) and the WXGA+ LCD to me personally is much better than XGA.

None of those laptops will handle many of today's games, since they are both based on Intel's integrated graphics chipsets. Forget about Quake IV. Keep in mind however the ASUS has a longer international warranty.
ahhhhhhh i see now. thxs collin for clearing things up

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I have an Asus 12" laptop and it's pretty good so far. I've had it for 2 years now I think. It's a Centrino (which was big 2 years ago) and it's still working fine :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Centrino is still relatively big.. it's been a very successful marketing initiative from Intel. Core 2 Duo Centrino laptops sell like hotcakes.. thanks to the platform moniker and the almost universal praise for Intel's Merom processors. Even on a sadder level, many potential laptop-buyers don't actually understand what Centrino is, but they know that 'it's a good thing'. Intel won there. The 4th generation (codename 'Santa Rosa') is scheduled for Q1 next year.. and it's something I've been very interested in.

Look out for an AMD-equivalent platform soon too.. their acquisition of ATi really sped things up.

pete_mate

HSC
fucking intel love to pile on the bullshit, i tell customers its just marketing bs.

thats a really shit asus notebook tho. find a better one. Asus are usually cheaper on comparable notebooks. if not, factor in the fact that they have a bag mouse and 2 year warranty included, and they are.

toshiba are good, but the asus tend to be better value.

brand quality, about the same. Tho asus tend to perform better in the benchmarks, eg. asus memory is 667, toshiba tends to cheap out and do 533

The asus reps were quietly confident, reflective of the fact that asus manufacture their own components. whereas the toshiba rep was piling on the bullshit about toshiba making nuclear reactor parts in japan, :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)