• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Asymptotes (2 Viewers)

Lukybear

HSC
Can I just ask, what are the asymptotes of x/x^2+1. Im not sure if there is one, especially as x>infin

Thxs

Lukybear

HSC
Yea but sub in x=0 y=0 ...

What about the asymptote of x + 1/x-1

lychnobity

HSC
Yea but sub in x=0 y=0 ...

What about the asymptote of x + 1/x-1
Hmm, yes in preliminary maths, an asymptote is merely a line that a curve does not touch.

But this definition of an asymptote is wrong. An asymptote, as you'll learn in 4 unit is a line that a curve CAN cross, and approaches.

So in short, an asymptote is a line that a graph approaches.

EDIT: I've uploaded a pic of what imo the graph should look like.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
Ahh interesting. Thats what i thought an asymptote meant orignally, thanks for informing.

But on a side note, how would one find the line that a curve cannot touch, with the said example, and ultimately graph it.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
Thanks for the graph, but fortunately I do have a graphing program etc...

However, when given said question, how do we discern that it goes through the asymptotes?

Also on topic, what is the turning points of x+3/x+1, i couldnt find any, but it is parabolic and should have some. And in this hyperbolic example, how would one graph it without any p.o.i and turning points.

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
Ahh interesting. Thats what i thought an asymptote meant orignally, thanks for informing.

But on a side note, how would one find the line that a curve cannot touch, with the said example, and ultimately graph it.
Like in the example,

x + 1/x-1

The asymptote of this curve would be y=x and x=1

y=x would be an asymptote because 1/x-1 will be a very small value. Say I subbed x=1020 into the eqn.

1020 will be a very big number. So if you subbed it into 1/x-1, the number 1/1020-1 will be very small, seeing as 1 over a very big number makes a very small number.

Using this logic, if you added a very big number with a very small number, the result will only be slightly larger than the big number (ie in the example, a bit bigger than 1020). Since I took x as 1020 (the 'big number'), the graph approaches x.

If you added x + 1/x-1, you will get (x2 - x +1)/x-1. Since the denominator can't equal zero, x can't equal 1.

.'. x = 1 is an asymptote.

Lukybear

HSC
Like in the example,

x + 1/x-1

The asymptote of this curve would be y=x and x=1

y=x would be an asymptote because 1/x-1 will be a very small value. Say I subbed x=1020 into the eqn.

1020 will be a very big number. So if you subbed it into 1/x-1, the number 1/1020-1 will be very small, seeing as 1 over a very big number makes a very small number.

Using this logic, if you added a very big number with a very small number, the result will only be slightly larger than the big number (ie in the example, a bit bigger than 1020). Since I took x as 1020 (the 'big number'), the graph approaches x.

If you added x + 1/x-1, you will get (x2 - x +1)/x-1. Since the denominator can't equal zero, x can't equal 1.

.'. x = 1 is an asymptote.

O yea i got that. The question actually gave it to me in unfactorised form.

lychnobity

HSC
O yea i got that. The question actually gave it to me in unfactorised form.
You don't have to expand like I did, I thought it would be easier to understand in that form.

But if you realise that denominator won't change anyway, you can skip it.

Lukybear

HSC
My main question is on the topic of x+3/x+1. When no t.p/p.o.i exists as the case, how does one go about graphing it? Table of values?

lychnobity

HSC
My main question is on the topic of x+3/x+1. When no t.p/p.o.i exists as the case, how does one go about graphing it? Table of values?
I usually do the following:
1) Find vertical asymptote (in this case x=-1)
2) Horizontal asymptote (where you divide by the highest power), ie y=1

Where there are no tps or pois, finding the intercepts usually help (should be @ x=-3 and y=3)

Step 3: Find out what's happening as the curve approaches infinity, zero (sometimes) and the asymptotes

ie as x-> positive and negative infinity, y-> 1

as x-> a little more than -1, y-> negative infinity
as x-> a little less than -1, y-> positive infinity

If you have trouble understanding this, substitute actual numbers in. eg for infinity use 1020 and -1.000000000001 for a number a bit more than 1 etc

untouchablecuz

HSC
Hmm, yes in preliminary maths, an asymptote is merely a line that a curve does not touch.

But this definition of an asymptote is wrong. An asymptote, as you'll learn in 4 unit is a line that a curve CAN cross, and approaches.

So in short, an asymptote is a line that a graph approaches.

EDIT: I've uploaded a pic of what imo the graph should look like.
remember that only horizontal asymptotes can be crossed (limit of a function as x approaches + or - infinity) whilst vertical tangents cannot be crossed (x values for which the function is not defined, i.e. division by zero)

untouchablecuz

HSC
first use long division to break it down or do it simply like this:

y = (x+3)/(x+1) = (x+1+2)/(x+1)=1+(2)/(x+1)

if you already know how to graph u=(2)/(x+1), you'll notice that y=1+(2)/(x+1) is simple a translation of this graph upwards by 1 unit

alternatively, you can find horizontal (as x approaches infinity notice that the term (2)/(x+1) becomes REALLY small, and thus y approaches 1) and vertical (find where y is undefined, x=-1) asymptotes, x intercepts and deduce the graph from there

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
just think of asymptotes as acid totes then be like woah trippay

untouchablecuz

HSC
ooooooo this guys in year 11, then yer, he probably doesn't know long division

but i think i remember it in the preliminary maths in focus book, im not sure

only one way to solve this:

lukybear, do you know long division? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)