ATAR Calculator (1 Viewer)

xibu34

HSC
I used the ATAR calculator on this forum and got a 98 from my internal marks. Will my school ranking pull down my atar, and if so by how much? school had 0 B6s last year altogether and is in the 500+ range on the rankings.

Ranks are:
Business 1/14
Physics 1/17
Maths Ext 1 3/7
Maths Advanced 2/8
Legal Studies 1/14
English Advanced 3/14

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Provided that you are ranked at the top of your cohort across your subjects (which you appear to be from your post edit), and provided that you perform favourably in your HSC exams, the effect that the performance of your cohort will have on your overall performance will be minimal (i.e. little to none).

Recall the moderation process. The highest Assessment Mark (the mark that reflects your internal performance and contributes 50% of your overall HSC mark in a particular subject) is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (HSC exam mark, which contributes the remaining 50% of your overall HSC mark in that subject) achieved by any student in your cohort. If you are ranked first in one or more of your subjects (which is reasonable to assume given your own performance, as well as your school rank and past cohort performance), then this process will work in your favour, as long as you perform at a similar standard in your HSC exams. If you also achieve the highest Examination Mark in your cohort in one or more subjects, that mark will simply become your HSC mark in the subject(s).

This leaves us with scaling. This is where, in addition to the goal of maximising your ranks (which you would have been working on throughout year 12), the actual standard at which you perform becomes important. From this point, the better your performance, the higher your ATAR will be. If you take a low-scaling subject, favourable performance will essentially minimise the effect that scaling presents on your ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

xibu34

HSC
Provided that you are ranked at the top of your cohort across your subjects (which you appear to be from your post edit), and provided that you perform favourably in your HSC exams, the effect that the performance of your cohort will have on your overall performance will be minimal (i.e. little to none).

Recall the moderation process. The highest Assessment Mark (the mark that reflects your internal performance and contributes 50% of your overall HSC mark in a particular subject) is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (HSC exam mark, which contributes the remaining 50% of your overall HSC mark in that subject) achieved by any student in your cohort. If you are ranked first in one or more of your subjects (which is reasonable to assume given your own performance, as well as your school rank and past cohort performance), then this process will work in your favour, as long as you perform at a similar standard in your HSC exams. If you also achieve the highest Examination Mark in your cohort in one or more subjects, that mark will simply become your HSC mark in the subject(s).

This leaves us with scaling. This is where, in addition to the goal of maximising your ranks (which you would have been working on throughout year 12), the actual standard at which you perform becomes important. From this point, the better your performance, the higher your ATAR will be. If you take a low-scaling subject, favourable performance will essentially minimise the effect that scaling presents on your ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D
I’m in a bit of a weird situation. Because my school has been flooded, NESA says they will either take external marks, or estimate using internal marks for our atar, whichever is higher. Would this likely mean my atar would be at least 91+ based on rankings etc.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I’m in a bit of a weird situation. Because my school has been flooded, NESA says they will either take external marks, or estimate using internal marks for our atar, whichever is higher. Would this likely mean my atar would be at least 91+ based on rankings etc.
This means that either your Assessment Mark or your Examination Mark will become your HSC mark in a particular subject. This can place you in an advantageous position, especially if you perform favourably in your HSC exams, ideally at a standard higher than your internal performance. This is because HSC exam marks are determined based on your own performance in your HSC exams and are not affected by your ranks relative to your cohort or your school rank. The possibility of having your Examination Marks contribute 100% of your HSC marks negates any potential impact that comes from your internal rank and the performance of your cohort, which becomes possible, should NESA have your Assessment Marks contribute 100% of your HSC marks instead. Therefore, your goal should be to perform as well as possible in your HSC exams.

In either case, I believe that you can receive a 91+ ATAR. If NESA ends up using your internal performance, then your ranks are sufficiently high for an ATAR in this range. On the other hand, if NESA ends up using your HSC exam marks, then you have an even better chance of achieving your ATAR goal as long as you perform well enough in your HSC exams.

xibu34

HSC
This means that either your Assessment Mark or your Examination Mark will become your HSC mark in a particular subject. This can place you in an advantageous position, especially if you perform favourably in your HSC exams, ideally at a standard higher than your internal performance. This is because HSC exam marks are determined based on your own performance in your HSC exams and are not affected by your ranks relative to your cohort or your school rank. The possibility of having your Examination Marks contribute 100% of your HSC marks negates any potential impact that comes from your internal rank and the performance of your cohort, which becomes possible, should NESA have your Assessment Marks contribute 100% of your HSC marks instead. Therefore, your goal should be to perform as well as possible in your HSC exams.

In either case, I believe that you can receive a 91+ ATAR. If NESA ends up using your internal performance, then your ranks are sufficiently high for an ATAR in this range. On the other hand, if NESA ends up using your HSC exam marks, then you have an even better chance of achieving your ATAR goal as long as you perform well enough in your HSC exams.
In the case that my internal marks were higher, would they still scale ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)