Atar estimate plssss (1 Viewer)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Would you say he is more likely to get 75 or 90??????

This proves my point lol
I never said 90.

I said low 80s, but definitely not 75. I never said he would get 90 based on his current marks. Just because low 80s is closer to 75 does not mean he will get 75.

Hscbuzman

HSC
I never said 90.

I said low 80s, but definitely not 75. I never said he would get 90 based on his current marks. Just because low 80s is closer to 75 does not mean he will get 75.
Answer the question mate

blyatman

HSC
N/A
85 but 95 if English external is smashed.
Dude how hard are you lowballing peoples marks lol. Can't tell if your still trolling.

I got 98.4, with a HSC english mark of 80 (external exam mark was 84, so I wouldn't call it smashed) - I barely scraped a band 5 for it.

I think you're severely underestimating what you need to get a certain ATAR. Remember that it's a rank, not a mark. So even if someone does "poorly" in an "easy" trial paper, you gotta account for the fact that it's sat by thousands of students across the state, many of whom literally have no idea what they're doing. So while you think a 75% is "bad", keep in mind that there's many students in some noname town in NSW who's class average is probably like 20%. There's also other things like school marking criteria, which could potentially be very strict compared to HSC. Finally, there's also scaling to take into account.

If I only got an ATAR of 85 with those marks, it would mean that you would essentially need to be near top of the school to even think about breaking 90+. Considering that I went to a top 50 school, that would mean that only a few hundred or so people in the state would get 90+, which simply isn't the case. I've got friends who were ranked near the middle, got band 4s and 5s for all their subjects, and still got 85+. You really don't need superb marks and ranks to a reasonable ATAR. Getting 60-70 ATAR requires like band 3's across the board.

Hscbuzman

HSC
Dude how hard are you lowballing peoples marks lol. Can't tell if your still trolling.

I got 98.4, with a HSC english mark of 80 (external exam mark was 84, so I wouldn't call it smashed) - I barely scraped a band 5 for it.

I think you're severely underestimating what you need to get a certain ATAR. Remember that it's a rank, not a mark. So even if someone does "poorly" in an "easy" trial paper, you gotta account for the fact that it's sat by thousands of students across the state, many of whom literally have no idea what they're doing. So while you think a 75% is "bad", keep in mind that there's many students in some noname town in NSW who's class average is probably like 20%. There's also other things like school marking criteria, which could potentially be very strict compared to HSC. Finally, there's also scaling to take into account.

If I only got an ATAR of 85 with those marks, it would mean that you would essentially need to be near top of the school to even think about breaking 90+. Considering that I went to a top 50 school, that would mean that only a few hundred or so people in the state would get 90+, which simply isn't the case. I've got friends who were ranked near the middle, got band 4s and 5s for all their subjects, and still got 85+. You really don't need superb marks and ranks to a reasonable ATAR. Getting 60-70 ATAR requires like band 3's across the board.
When @John1201 gets a 75 atar, will you apologise to him for causing him to bring his hopes up?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
When @John1201 gets a 75 atar, will you apologise to him for causing him to bring his hopes up?
Dude you just completely dodged the issue. I never said he could 90; the only thing I said was that judging by your estimate of my marks, the example shows that you're severely underestimating what you need to get a certain ATAR. That's it.

I also try not to get into ATAR estimates, since I don't believe they're useful or reliable in the first place. My opinion is that it's a waste of time trying to predict it. If he gets it, then great, if not, then BL. Not gonna try predict and justify his ATAR, so the question of apologising to him is irrelevant since I'm not even giving a prediction in the first place.

Hscbuzman

HSC
Dude you just completely dodged the issue. I never said he could 90; the only thing I said was that judging by your estimate of my marks, the example shows that you're severely underestimating what you need to get a certain ATAR. That's it.

I also try not to get into ATAR estimates, since I don't believe they're useful or reliable in the first place. My opinion is that it's a waste of time trying to predict it. If he gets it, then great, if not, then BL. Not gonna try predict and justify his ATAR, so the question of apologising to him is irrelevant since I'm not even giving a prediction in the first place.
You are so famb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)