Athens (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by jesshika
so what's gonna happen if half the venues in Athens aren't finished?? ... where will the games be held then ??

i wonder why athens was chosen in the first place .. *HMM* [no offense]
Athens was chosen in the first place because they were passed up on the two thousand games, which I feel, diplomatically they should have had, it being the last year of the millenia and all.

The reason why Athens recieved the games was, I suppose, a mark of respect. The Olympic games originated in Greece, and the modern Olympic games were first held in Athens.

astro

HSC
Originally posted by charmed_cuties
there is no way they can finish all the venues in athens within a hundred days, o well i guess there may b no olympics 4 2004 or a complete disaster.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i heard if athens does not complete their venues the games be held back in sydney

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by timbk2
with now less than 100 days to go, athens organisers still think they are on track to complete construction for the games..

do you think they'll make it? or are the organisers going to turn athens into the laughing stock of the developed world.

also.. thoughts on security? after yesterday's bombings in athens..
i think they will make it, JUST. they have the world watching them

i don't know about security, i don't trust the greeks since they can't even get their act together to build the stuff, but i think it'll be fine
Originally posted by Loz#1
Least Athen's will make Sydney look like first class.
we were damn 1st class.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Man, have you seen the state of the dirt there? Its not just about having a place to compete, it is keeping up an image of prestige, of sporting greatness...what makes it so sad is that the modern day Olympics in Greece will not echo the same grandeur it hade a millenia ago.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by Persephone87
Man, have you seen the state of the dirt there? Its not just about having a place to compete, it is keeping up an image of prestige, of sporting greatness...what makes it so sad is that the modern day Olympics in Greece will not echo the same grandeur it hade a millenia ago.
The prestige has gone too far I reckon. Sydney was too over the top. We wasted too much money that could have been spent on hospitals and schools etc. I'm all for the Olympics, but countries shouldn't keep trying to oudo each other and just waste more money and resources for a few sporting events

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
The prestige has gone too far I reckon. Sydney was too over the top. We wasted too much money that could have been spent on hospitals and schools etc. I'm all for the Olympics, but countries shouldn't keep trying to oudo each other and just waste more money and resources for a few sporting events
Actually, spending money allows the economy to grow. It is actually a good thing, because with the spending of money, it creates jobs, with the building, better infrastructure, environmental awareness built into the schmes create more ecologically sustainable processes. Don't forget all the tourism! We need to make it beautiful to draw people from overseas. Hell, it's basically an advertisement for our tourist industy (In our top ten). Can you tell me thats bad? If one skimps, and does a slatternly job, it is maore likely to affect the environment, produce debt, and get sacked. Plus, I am no sports freak - but why ruin peoples/athletes dreams? Im proud of how Sydney looked to the world, but I was from Athens, I wouldn't be.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
We're not doing the Olympics right now and we STILL don't have any money in education and health :p. Yet we have all these record surpluses...

Anyway, hope Athens gets done in time, the stadium looks very funky...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)