• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Attention experienced Tutors, advice needed? (1 Viewer)

vay

HSC
N/A
My son is 14 getting tutored for the first time in eng and maths by a private tutor(19 year old uni student) one on one. The tutor is only giving my son half hr of homework a week for the last one month.
The homework is based on the the topic he teaches him on the day. e.g fractions per week, then algelbra per week.
Is that right?

I am comparing him to the homework of my 10 year old son that goes to group coaching and he gets 20 pages maths and 4 pages eng a week, and gets a variety of homework from addition, subtraction, multiplication, fraction, thinking work, etc.

Is there a e.g or website out there that i can compare on what homework a 13 year old should get? I feel not content with the one on on tutor. I feel he should be getting more homework and i him that. Can someone send me a link to a website that i can say that i want her to give him a variety of homework?
How much homework do you give a 13 year old? How many pages is it based on what u thought? Do you give a variety of homework?

How would i know i have not a good tutor?

funnytomato

HSC
My son is 14 getting tutored for the first time in eng and maths by a private tutor(19 year old uni student) one on one. The tutor is only giving my son1 half hr of homework a week for the last one month.
The homework is based on the the topic he teaches him on the day. e.g fractions per week, then algelbra per week.
Is that right?

I am comparing him to the homework of my 10 year old son that goes to group coaching and he gets 2 20 pages maths and 4 pages eng a week, and gets a variety of homework from addition, subtraction, multiplication, fraction, thinking work, etc.

Is there a e.g or 3 website out there that i can compare on what homework a 13 year old should get? I feel not content with the one on on tutor. I feel 4 he should be getting more homework and i him that. Can someone send me a link to a website that i can say that i want her to give him a variety of homework?
How much homework do you give a 13 year old? How many pages is it based on what u thought? Do you give a variety of homework?

How would i know i have not a good tutor?
1,2,4 if you don't think that the tutor is giving enough homework, couldn't you just tell him ? or go to a coaching centre if that's prefered?
to be honest, I don't really see the necessity of 13/14 year olds getting tutoring
it's a totally different game in senior(HSC) years, don't be too obsessed with the grades they're getting now
3 you mean like a syllabus??

funnytomato

HSC
also if they don't quite appreciate it, don't force them into it
I doubt tutoring would help much if it's not voluntary

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
As a matter of curiosity: for maths, what do you hope the tuition would do for yr son? = to enable him to catch up, to keep up or to excel?

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I am a 19 year old who tutors kids from years 7-10 and I dont give homework at all. Most students get more then enough homework from school and the time I spend with them is more than enough to cover any deficiencies they have. Doing excessive homework/study in primary and early high school is unnecessary and in my opinion detrimental to a childs development.

Jennibeans

HSC
enoilgam is right. I am a teacher and my year 8 (mostly 14 year olds) English classes complete 1-1.5 hours of homework for me per week. I sometimes adjust this based on what else is going on for my students (e.g. if it's Tuesday and they have a maths exam on Wednesday, I won't give them English homework). Homework is for students to practice managing skills and content independently, not for drilling with page after page of the same thing. I only set homework so I know my students can manage skills and content we've covered in class without me there to help them and to allow them to build confidence in themselves by succeeding without my instant input or approval. Adolescents need work-life balance. If we overwork our adolescents in junior high school (year7/8/9), they suffer socially and don't build the support network or social skills they need to excel in senior school. I watch a lot of my students, particularly those in my gifted classes, who spend too much time on academics. They often end up stressing out and performing poorly against those students who have a more balanced week-to-week schedule because they have no outlet for their stress. I find they also struggle with self-efficacy, believing that they cannot succeed without their tutor. Unfortunately, this often leads to assessment tasks being submitted with too much tutor input, which results in low marks for the student. My recommendation for your 14 year old is to encourage him to join a sporting team or social group aimed at a particular skill, such as a debating or tournament of the minds team.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Tutor homework for a 13 year-old child should only take him/her, at maximum of 3 (2-4) hours a week, to complete in my opinion (on average for an average Year 7 or 8 Student).
I am currently a Year 10 Student and it takes me around 3 hours maximum to finish all my maths tutor homework per week.
Also, if you feel as though your child isn't getting enough homework, you may like to ask him/her to do work in the various workbooks offered at bookshops. Ask him/her to read books, write essays or short stories in his/her spare time, go on Maths Online and study topics ahead of school or even do past and practice papers of notable exams such as NAPLAN or SC.
However, do not overload your child with work if they are not capable of handling the workload.
My recommendation is to check how your child is doing at school and determine whether their study habits need to improve or not.

cobRAJ

HSC
depends what marks your son is getting, and if and your son are happy with them
if he is good at maths, then half an hour should be more than enough, but the opposite also applies
but with maths, more doesn't hurt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)