Australia, New Zealand consider single currency (2 Viewers)

HSC
Australia and New Zealand say the introduction of a single currency for the two neighbours is not on the agenda, but could be considered if there were significant economic benefits.

New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark and her Australian counterpart, John Howard, have ended talks in Canberra which included discussions on the recent East Asia Summit and common military deployment in Afghanistan.

When asked about the possibility of the countries issuing a single currency, Mr Howard and Ms Clark agreed it could not be ruled out.

However, Mr Howard says he is not pushing for a single currency.

"We are two sovereign independent, close friendly countries, but we are separate countries," he said.

"I think it is always somewhat needlessly provocative for Australian prime ministers to be calling for this or that on a single basis.

"I think to give up control of your currency is a very big step."

Regional summit "significant"

Both leaders says they are satisfied with the first ever East Asia summit, which they attended in Malaysia in December.

Mr Howard says the 16-member grouping can make a big contribution to relations in the region, although it will not replace the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation group (APEC).

Ms Clark says the Asia summit is a significant development.

"We need now to be working on ways to take it forward as a meaningful addition to regional architecture in East Asia," she said.

"A lot of diplomacy from both Australia and New Zealand was involved in getting the seat at that table in the first instance.

"That was important, now the challenge is to build on it in a meaningful way."
http://abcasiapacific.com/news/stories/asiapacific_stories_1565463.htm

I'm interested to hear the opinions of some of the more economically versed on what the effects of such a move would be.

volition

arr.
HSC
I saw Australia should just 'annex' New Zealand, they can become one of our states :)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
volition said:
I saw Australia should just 'annex' New Zealand, they can become one of our states :)
But why stop there; we could also take over Micro/Poly/Melanesia, Tongo, Samoa and all those other Pacific Islands no one cares about!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Economically speaking - bigger is better eg a combined economy could compete better internationally.

It would also be of more practical use as it would facilitate trade by simplifying the process as there would be no currecy barrier (which would mean greater speed and less cost involved in currecy transfer).

However to have a single currency would require NZ (no ones kidding themselves about who will be the dominant partner here...) to relinquish control of some very sensitive areas of independence eg interest rates etc

Another concern is that the AU and NZ economies may be different enough to need differing policies to compete efficiently in the world market eg what is best for AU may not be best for NZ but NZ would be stuck following our lead.

Personally I think it would be good if NZ became part of a 'greater Australia' so I like this idea.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Economically speaking - bigger is better eg a combined economy could compete better internationally.

It would also be of more practical use as it would facilitate trade by simplifying the process as there would be no currecy barrier (which would mean greater speed and less cost involved in currecy transfer).

However to have a single currency would require NZ (no ones kidding themselves about who will be the dominant partner here...) to relinquish control of some very sensitive areas of independence eg interest rates etc

Another concern is that the AU and NZ economies may be different enough to need differing policies to compete efficiently in the world market eg what is best for AU may not be best for NZ but NZ would be stuck following our lead.

Personally I think it would be good if NZ became part of a 'greater Australia' so I like this idea.
its tough to merge new Zealand with australia, let alone the currency. At the moment the state goverment of NSW can barely manage this state. John Howard n the other is only decent leader who is biggest dickhead of all time. So really merging at this point economically will not suit. Let Australia rid of IRaq, let Nsw recover etc.

Although the currency rates, are similar, there will be of no benefit if we merge. COnsidering our economy is basically controlled by Europe, America and China, it would not have any benefit to Australia. Being bigger, is gud, although new Zealand and the pacific islands economically wont be that significant they might (just might) NSW and Melbourne combined.

In order for Australia to improve it economic stance, it would wise to become asian, encourage trade links with them, move away from america and europe.

davin

HSC
N/A
right, move away from america and europe, two potential markets. you're an economic genius.

the point of one currency is really useful only when part of a larger economic plan to get a region to act as one trading bloc, such as the EU where trade within member countries is made easier so that the EU can be comparable to the U.S.

volition

arr.
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
But why stop there; we could also take over Micro/Poly/Melanesia, Tongo, Samoa and all those other Pacific Islands no one cares about!
Oh no, but then we'd have to let them all in here, and we can't have THAT now can we??? (if our immigration policy is anything to go by) :p
heheh

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
right, move away from america and europe, two potential markets. you're an economic genius.

the point of one currency is really useful only when part of a larger economic plan to get a region to act as one trading bloc, such as the EU where trade within member countries is made easier so that the EU can be comparable to the U.S.
two potential markets, where the australian economy does jackshit. At least we are selling gas to china and have some relation to them. Consider nearly all the major companies are foreignly owned, at this rate, AUstralia - will not be australia, but a state of america, europe etc.

But remember the EU, is a massive economy, australia is peanuts to it. By hacing EU they jave shielded their trade routes, thus encouraging withing rather trading with us.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
We could have had a single currency since Federation, but the kiwis didn't want to join. As it is, if you have a look at your coins, especially 20 cent peices you'll occassionally find NZ coins.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Yet we are still part of Britain. Unless we separate ourselves I feel it is a pointless endeavour. Our desire of world domination will not take effect until we are a republic!

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Australia and NZ share things in common-same language, same old british background, same geographic location.
This means economic integration.
Hey, the euros did it but this depends on where you want to integrate. We can't have Canada and USA joing together. Oh no.

I don't think we should share the same currency just so it gives us our own identity, seperate from that of NZ.
A lot of nations in Africa use the US dollar for trading. I think that one day that the world will be using the same currency.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Yeah, they'll all be using our beautifully designed Australian dollar. Not that ugly green paper money the Yanks prefer.

davin

HSC
N/A
comparitivly thoguh, australian money looks more suited for monopoly than american money. though i give it props for being harder to counterfeit

malkin86

HSC
There are enough kiwi 20 cent pieces floating about here as it is... ;)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
malkin86 said:
There are enough kiwi 20 cent pieces floating about here as it is... ;)
How did they come about into circulation?
Many vending machines I use, accept them.

malkin86

HSC
Yeah - they're similar enough in size and weight to an Aussie 20 cent coin, I think, so even people accept them without questioning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)