• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Australian Uni - Pathetic ? (1 Viewer)

C

Cadaver

Anyone else thinks Australia has pathetic Universities?

Season

HSC
... uhhh no...

and the rest of the world in terms of the people who look at quality of universities either, apparent by the amount of universities in Australia being rated as in the top 500 in the world...

Our graduates are readily welcomed in many countries including the US, the UK, China, Japan... in fact many of my friends are boarding from China/Malaysia etc. so they can get into the Australian Unis because they are so highly regarded...

so no... I don't really see your point at all...

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. I can see many pathethic universities in Australia. Pathetic people go to them.

But isn't that a good thing? If we didn't have pathetic universities, where will all the pathetic people go? What I love about Australia is that most people, regardless of whether they're rich/poor or privileged/unfortunate, can get access to the basic things that matter so much and that we take for granted: universities, hospitals etc.

Another point I want to make is that what's important for a smart person is there are good and reputable institutions such as usyd and unsw.

I personally don't have a problem with pathetic universities. It helps maintain social cohesion. You don't want the academically-successful (who are usually richer than working class, live in better areas, with private schooling) to be the only guys and girls who can go to a university.

donnytuco

tuco
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Yes. I can see many pathethic universities in Australia. Pathetic people go to them.

But isn't that a good thing? If we didn't have pathetic universities, where will all the pathetic people go? What I love about Australia is that most people, regardless of whether they're rich/poor or privileged/unfortunate, can get access to the basic things that matter so much and that we take for granted: universities, hospitals etc.

Another point I want to make is that what's important for a smart person is there are good and reputable institutions such as usyd and unsw.

I personally don't have a problem with pathetic universities. It helps maintain social cohesion. You don't want the academically-successful (who are usually richer than working class, live in better areas, with private schooling) to be the only guys and girls who can go to a university.
Who are these pathetic people that you speak of? The poor? The unprivileged? The unfortunate? Those who are unsuccessful, academically?

Define them please? Pretty please?

phrred

HSC
Season said:
... uhhh no...

and the rest of the world in terms of the people who look at quality of universities either, apparent by the amount of universities in Australia being rated as in the top 500 in the world...

Our graduates are readily welcomed in many countries including the US, the UK, China, Japan... in fact many of my friends are boarding from China/Malaysia etc. so they can get into the Australian Unis because they are so highly regarded...

so no... I don't really see your point at all...
I believe the standard of top US, UK, China, Japanese unis are higher than our top uni's as there is so much more competition. In comparison, i highly doubt a person in those countries would be able to get into harvard, oxford, beijing with a UAI equivalent of 75 whereas you can do courses at sydney, anu, unsw with that mark. Also, the entry standards of international students are really low.

Australian unis only do well in the Times Higher Education ranking, it does awfully in the shanghai jiaotong one.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I bet a person with 75 uai could get into harvard if his/her parents had enought money/influence, or if he/she was really good at a particular sport :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
phrred said:
I believe the standard of top US, UK, China, Japanese unis are higher than our top uni's as there is so much more competition. In comparison, i highly doubt a person in those countries would be able to get into harvard, oxford, beijing with a UAI equivalent of 75 whereas you can do courses at sydney, anu, unsw with that mark. Also, the entry standards of international students are really low.

Australian unis only do well in the Times Higher Education ranking, it does awfully in the shanghai jiaotong one.
actualli the shanghai one is research focussed and even the researchers acknowledge that..

that said.. Aust loses all their bright students to other countries

sinist4

HSC
Pathetic.
hmm ... thats up to ones self to decide, well if your going to uni, then obviously you dont think its pathetic, unless your a total moron.

but i still dont get your point of this ?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
donnytuco said:
Who are these pathetic people that you speak of? The poor? The unprivileged? The unfortunate? Those who are unsuccessful, academically?

Define them please? Pretty please?
I shouldn't be generalising. What I should say is at pathetic unis, there're more pathetic people.

Also, I don't feel the need to get into a debate. I also don't feel it is constructive to define pathetic because I probably can't get it right - there'll always be loopholes in the way I define it and you know it. When you see a pathetic person, you know it. I am an elitist as you can tell from my tone.

Each person is entitled to his opinion. I respect your opinion (not that you expressed one but I can probably guess what it is), just as I hope you'd respect mine.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
chucknthem said:
I bet a person with 75 uai could get into harvard if his/her parents had enought money/influence, or if he/she was really good at a particular sport :p
I know UAI is going to be correlated with the quality of your education. Private schools are probably going to do better. In that sense, you have a point. Besides, we haven't really said what they're going to do at Harvard. Are we talking about an MBA?

Anyway, how do you justify your comment in terms of rich kids from wealthy suburbs who went to private schools, tried really hard during their HSC and still got 75? I don't think they can get into Havard.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Omnidragon said:
I know UAI is going to be correlated with the quality of your education. Private schools are probably going to do better. In that sense, you have a point. Besides, we haven't really said what they're going to do at Harvard. Are we talking about an MBA?

Anyway, how do you justify your comment in terms of rich kids from wealthy suburbs who went to private schools, tried really hard during their HSC and still got 75? I don't think they can get into Havard.
How did you read that out of my post? :p

You don't have to be that academically strong to get into an ivy league uni. George W. Bush got into Yale.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)