• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

B.commerce - accounting question!!! (1 Viewer)

chooper821

HSC
so i just read that b.commerce with a major in accounting isnt a professional accounting/accredited qualification... is this true??

secondly, how easy is it to transfer from b.commerce with a major in accounting into b.commerce -professional accounting?

rajputsingh

HSC
so i just read that b.commerce with a major in accounting isnt a professional accounting/accredited qualification... is this true??

secondly, how easy is it to transfer from b.commerce with a major in accounting into b.commerce -professional accounting?

I have the same question. Can you still be eligible for the CA or CPA?

VLTURBO

HSC
Im not sure where you are getting the info from but it def is as i know many people that did b comm accting @ macq and are doing their CA.

Also, the CA website has a list of subjects needed to do the CA (which are the normal course subjects) and specifically addresses the b comm accounting course at macq.

Hope this clears it up

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
I don't understant why Mq have Bcom-accg and Bcom-PA both. Anyhow, for Bcom-accg major you can follow the unit path for Bcom-PA, so no need to transfer.

chooper821

HSC
i saw it in the 2009 book or sumthing likethat, it had an * next to b.commerce accounting saying its not accredited. im just not sure whether that has changed for 2010???
does anyone know?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Not sure about accreditation of the accounting major, but the requirements to transfer into the B Commerce - Prof. Accounting are:

-at least 12 credit points with an overall GPA of 2.5

This is found here (http://www.reg.mq.edu.au/undergrad/current/currentstudents/Table 2.pdf)

12 credit points is 4 subjects [i.e. completion of 1 semester], and a GPA of 2.5 is midway between Pass [2.0] and Credit [3.0] grades, and so 2 passes and 2 credits in semester 1 would be suffiecient to transfer.

[Subjects you do in semester 1, i would advise, should coincide with those here (Bachelor of Commerce - Professional Accounting - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University) if you wish to transfer, so as to not delay yourself. This should not be difficuilt, as i believe many of these 100-level units you would do for a B Comm majoring in Accounting anyway].

Speak to an academic advisor from the Department fo Accounting and Finance to clarify any details / questions you may have.

chooper821

HSC
thanks, yeh i know all that, its just that one question that is bugging me whether it is officially accredited or not! gah anyway.. guess ill do my best and probably transfer.. is a credit easy to get?

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
lol chooper did you not read my post? just follow the unit path for B Commerce - Prof. Accounting you will be fine. I have asked that's why i know. But it's your choice if you still wanna transfer.

manavji

HSC
N/A
One of my friends did B Commerce degree but followed B Commerce - Prof. accounting units... and guess what... he is still in uni and its been 4yrs lol... do what you are enrolled in... do not do the units for other degrees like the person above is saying... because to qualify for B Commerce... you need to do B Commerce units... and there are some units which are different in B commerce prof. accounting degree than the normal B commerce degree... for example the 200 level Business law unit...

As for getting a credit... its not hard... if u complete all your assignments and sit your exams and put decent effort into studying its easy to get... so if you are the type of person who wants to just cruize along uni and not really put in too much effort... mayb you can just go a bit hard in 2 units and take the other 2 units easily... afterall its only 2 C's and 2 P's to get into Prof. accounting... which is not hard at all.

goodluck!

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
One of my friends did B Commerce degree but followed B Commerce - Prof. accounting units... and guess what... he is still in uni and its been 4yrs lol... do what you are enrolled in... do not do the units for other degrees like the person above is saying... because to qualify for B Commerce... you need to do B Commerce units... and there are some units which are different in B commerce prof. accounting degree than the normal B commerce degree... for example the 200 level Business law unit...

As for getting a credit... its not hard... if u complete all your assignments and sit your exams and put decent effort into studying its easy to get... so if you are the type of person who wants to just cruize along uni and not really put in too much effort... mayb you can just go a bit hard in 2 units and take the other 2 units easily... afterall its only 2 C's and 2 P's to get into Prof. accounting... which is not hard at all.

goodluck!
Firstly, Both course are 3 years long full time. So your friend probably failed some units, hence 4 years. Secondly, your correct about some units are different, but if you care to look in the course guide Bcom and Bcom prof.accounting are the same with the latter have law units. Therefore if you follow Bcom prof.accounting unit path you will graduate Bcom degree. Thirdly, i have asked the person in charge of prof.accounting that old dude on enrolment , which i quote "You can follow Bcom prof.accounting unit path with Bcom degree if you want to do prof.accounting, so no need to transfer".

manavji

HSC
N/A
Firstly, Both course are 3 years long full time. So your friend probably failed some units, hence 4 years. Secondly, your correct about some units are different, but if you care to look in the course guide Bcom and Bcom prof.accounting are the same with the latter have law units. Therefore if you follow Bcom prof.accounting unit path you will graduate Bcom degree. Thirdly, i have asked the person in charge of prof.accounting that old dude on enrolment , which i quote "You can follow Bcom prof.accounting unit path with Bcom degree if you want to do prof.accounting, so no need to transfer".
What i dont get is, if there is a specific B Comm degree unit path, why would someone even think of following B Comm-prof. accounting unit path?.. thats jus stupid...

Yeah you could follow that path if you want to transfer into b comm-prof. accounting degree later on down the line... but why would one do all the law units in the HOPE of transfering, because if they cant transfer later on (have a low gpa etc.), those units are a waste and one would have to stick around for an extra semester or so to finish off their B Comm degree.

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
Well, i don't know about op, but for me i picked the wrong course. As other uni's Bcom major ACCG accredited to cpa/ca, mq's Bcom doesn't seem to (at least not on the course guide).

Monstar

HSC
Under the old system it was differentiated.. Bcomm-accg was ca/cpa accredited whereas bcomm majoring in accg isnt. If you can do just a Bcomm and follow Bcomm-accg it wouldnt make any sense.. why? because Mq would've just collapsed the Bcomm-accg degree..

its the reason why we have Bappfin and shit.. why would they still be around if you could just do Bcomm ?

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
LOL that's why im like wtf. I asked the head of prof-accounting that old dude and he said you can do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)