B Laws v B Laws(combined studies) (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys :)
I was wondering is it better to do a combined law degree or a just a law degree? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
I know that if you just do a B Laws you finish in three years as opposed to five, but which is better in terms of employment etc???

santaslayer

HSC
A combined degree will always give you freedom, flexibility and broader areas where you could work in. That being said, you just wanna get your arse into the Bar, so go for the UTS LLB if that's the case.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think most universities only offer combined law degrees now anyway (typically 5 years).

I know UTS has the straight B Laws (4 Years). But for an extra year you get a whole additional degree. Do a combined program. You learn WAY more by doing a supplementary degree.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I was under the impression that you cant just do a 'straight' law degree, they are always combined. The only 'straight' law degree is a postgrad... Regardless, as Moonlight said combined give you more flexibility, and its much more impressive to see 2 degrees in 5 years than one in 4. It makes you more... educated (or appear to be at least), and, if you mix your degree right, it makes you more qualified in a sense.

Eg. I'm doing psych/law and I want to do family law, and thus my psych will help re:relating to clients, understanding their needs, and will especially help if there are children involved, or if the client suffers some kind of disorder (I'm doing psychopathology and social psych as electives)... ta da!

Conclusion: combined! :uhhuh:

santaslayer

HSC
MaryJane said:
I was under the impression that you cant just do a 'straight' law degree, they are always combined. The only 'straight' law degree is a postgrad... Regardless, as Moonlight said combined give you more flexibility, and its much more impressive to see 2 degrees in 5 years than one in 4. It makes you more... educated (or appear to be at least), and, if you mix your degree right, it makes you more qualified in a sense.

Eg. I'm doing psych/law and I want to do family law, and thus my psych will help re:relating to clients, understanding their needs, and will especially help if there are children involved, or if the client suffers some kind of disorder (I'm doing psychopathology and social psych as electives)... ta da!

Conclusion: combined! :uhhuh:
UTS is the only university in Sydney (at least) that offers a straight, undergraduate LLB degree. Looking at the UAI for it, I'd choose a combined. At least I'd get my UAI's worth! :p

X

xeuyrawp

stamos said:
combined x10000000000000
Yes, succinct and true.

Put it this way-

BA = 3 years.
LLB = 4 years.
LLB + BA = 5 years.

That extra year is worth it, imo, and an arts degree will help you with skills needed for the legal profession.

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
I was leaning towards combined anyway, I just wanted some info before I put in my preferences
What's your estimated UAI?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
What's your estimated UAI?
My school doesn't give uai estimates unless you ask or need it for UMAT or something. My ca says to get 90 in my school u need to be in the top 50% of ur subjects (only this works with the subjects with a large cohort) I think I was in 7/38 in legal and 26/80 so they arent fab my other subjects have a cohort less than 10 so it would be pretty hard to estimate my UAI anyway. I don't expect to get over 90, but who knows? My school was I think 68th in the top 200, 50/200 got over 90 and our highest was 99.0... I guess I just have to hope

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
DPP? Silent number? People trying to kieeeeeeeellllll you!

Get with the winning team. Dont work for the state! :p
LOL don't worry I haven't even started yet I may change my mind...although I hated legal aid when I went there for work experience...it will definately be somethign barish though

Frigid is probably hiding from me :p

santaslayer

HSC
melsc said:
My school doesn't give uai estimates unless you ask or need it for UMAT or something. My ca says to get 90 in my school u need to be in the top 50% of ur subjects (only this works with the subjects with a large cohort) I think I was in 7/38 in legal and 26/80 so they arent fab my other subjects have a cohort less than 10 so it would be pretty hard to estimate my UAI anyway. I don't expect to get over 90, but who knows? My school was I think 68th in the top 200, 50/200 got over 90 and our highest was 99.0... I guess I just have to hope
You must be in a pretty good school then. Top 50%!!!

We had to be about top 2%, but then I didn't go to a very intelligent school. LoLz.

Demandred

HSC
I am aiming to be in the DPP as well. Nothing better than imposing draconian sentances on the worst in society :).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Demandred said:
I am aiming to be in the DPP as well. Nothing better than imposing draconian sentances on the worst in society :).
:uhhuh: .

I also have put my preferences in now...they are subject to change dependant on my UAI :rolleyes:

Social Science (Criminology)/ LLB - UWS * only UWS offers the combined degree I want*
LLB - UTS
LLB/ Social Science - MAQU
Social Science (Criminology) UWS

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)