B.p.e.s.s. (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
is it basically a BA with a better name and restrictions?

Path2Felicity

HSC
N/A
I have another question about this degree. Because it is restricted, I was a bit confused about the subjects we were allowed to choose.

For example, I've chosen two subjects from Sociology, two from Government and International Relations and two from Political Economy. I also chose two subjects which I wasn't sure about when adding them, but I was allowed to do, that's Academic English and Academic Writing. One runs during the first and second semester and the other is part of winter school. Were they correct in allowing this?

If I wanted to replace these two subjects and choose a language for example, would I be allowed to do that? Do they give us the option of choosing two subjects (12 credit points) from anywhere in the Arts handbook?

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
I have another question about this degree. Because it is restricted, I was a bit confused about the subjects we were allowed to choose.

For example, I've chosen two subjects from Sociology, two from Government and International Relations and two from Political Economy. I also chose two subjects which I wasn't sure about when adding them, but I was allowed to do, that's Academic English and Academic Writing. One runs during the first and second semester and the other is part of winter school. Were they correct in allowing this?

If I wanted to replace these two subjects and choose a language for example, would I be allowed to do that? Do they give us the option of choosing two subjects (12 credit points) from anywhere in the Arts handbook?
i'm pretty sure you can't do just any units in the Arts handbook. 36 credit points come from govt, ecop, and soc or anthropology (you can only do either one not both for core), the remaining should come from your elective, which is either the four mentioned before, psychology, geology, economics, work and organisational studies or management.

with that in mind i am sure you can't do languages

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
i'm pretty sure you can't do just any units in the Arts handbook. 36 credit points come from govt, ecop, and soc or anthropology (you can only do either one not both for core), the remaining should come from your elective, which is either the four mentioned before, psychology, geology, economics, work and organisational studies or management.

with that in mind i am sure you can't do languages
Read the handbook because I am pretty sure you can do any subjects from the Arts faculty.

Path2Felicity

HSC
N/A
Right, thanks girls, I'm still confused though. :p

Just another question about the elective units, we get the option of choosing from Management and International Relations and Human Resource Management, but I was just wondering how well other students think these units fit in with the whole degree. How well do you think a major in Sociology would go with units from Management?

Also, are we allowed to do extra credit points during first semester? I would like to do WRIT1001 AND WRIT1002 (considering we are allowed to), but they both take place during semester 1 (with the latter during winter school). If I enrolled in those two subjects, then I can't do two others which I think are a bit more important, that is Australian politics and Foundations of Work and Employment.

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
@Path2Felicity

Don't know about your first question but generally students aren't allowed to overload in first semester (or even first year I think).

Why do you want to do WRIT1001 and 2? From what I've heard they're boring, bludgy subjects (unless of course that's what you intend to do - bludge). The lecturer, Bill Foley, was a great lecturer for Linguistics though.

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
You only really have two subjects in your first year that aren't compulsory so you are limited in your choice. You've got to think about what majors you may be interested in doing. If you want to do a second major, you are better off choosing introductory units in the area of study (I'm pretty sure it is compulsory too)

Path2Felicity

HSC
N/A
@Path2Felicity

Don't know about your first question but generally students aren't allowed to overload in first semester (or even first year I think).

Why do you want to do WRIT1001 and 2? From what I've heard they're boring, bludgy subjects (unless of course that's what you intend to do - bludge). The lecturer, Bill Foley, was a great lecturer for Linguistics though.
Even though I usually get good grades in my essays, I'm generally told the same thing about my writing skills. So I thought these two subjects might help. No bludging, I promise.

I just wanted to do them in the first semester because I think they fit in best there. But WRIT1002 is offered during winter school, so how come it still counts during first semester?

You only really have two subjects in your first year that aren't compulsory so you are limited in your choice. You've got to think about what majors you may be interested in doing. If you want to do a second major, you are better off choosing introductory units in the area of study (I'm pretty sure it is compulsory too)
I think I already have all the foundation units covered for a first and second major. I just want 6 extra credit points during semester 1 to be able to do both the writing subjects.

Could you please tell me if the following looks right to you?

First semester subjects are looking like this:

Introduction to Sociology 1
Economics as a Social Science
Australian Politics
Academic English and Academic Writing (extra 6cpts needed)

Second semester subjects:

Introduction to Sociology 2
Economy and Society
Power in Society
Foundations of Work and Employment

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
Could you please tell me if the following looks right to you?

First semester subjects are looking like this:

Introduction to Sociology 1
Economics as a Social Science
Australian Politics
Academic English and Academic Writing (extra 6cpts needed)

Second semester subjects:

Introduction to Sociology 2
Economy and Society
Power in Society
Foundations of Work and Employment
They look right :)
You have a politics subject, an ecop subject, a sociology subject and an elective. :) I suppose you just have to stick to that checklist and the handbook. (There is an 'degree pathways' diagram in the handbook)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)