• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Science (advanced/advanced mathematics) (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
I done some reading in booklets, but i want see what other people know about it. How much different is it from a normal B science degree? Is it really hard, like do you have to be a pro from a young age to cope? Why is the intake so little? (i think i saw only 10 for B science (advanced mathematics) )
And is UAI the only requirement?
And does anyone here do it?

sHin

My understanding is that with Adv. Science, there is a larger range of a subjects that you can major in. Other than that, there is apparently no difference (even when you graduate, your certificate will just say Bachelor of Science, major in subject).

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I think keypad does advanced science/maths, shoot him a pm or email

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
In wollongong, with the advanced maths degre you get to skip alot of the first year courses. I think this is the same with sydney unis

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Nah, there's no one in first year who's skipped any (that I know of). We can do third year maths courses if we did well in the HSC though ...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
yeah, but the wollongong advanced maths degree you can't combine with anything, it is just pure maths

CrashOveride

HSC
So if u did a B Science (adv maths), or just adv, it would still only say Bachelor Of SCiene, majoring in xxxxxxx ?

Also in the adv. maths course, is it just maths? Or do you do like some science stuff etc ?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm, there are not exaclty any difference i don't think... in main round, i enrolled in b sci (adv maths) and in late round i enrolled in b sci /b comm (damn i hate that i forgot to change the stream ot adv, but same thing, i change nxt year), and the course i am doing in first year is EXACTLY the same....

but in b sci(adv maths) u gotta major in stat and maths... in b sci (adv) u gotta do at least 50% of cp in adv lvl... other wise, there r not diff'ce

Originally posted by CrashOveride
So if u did a B Science (adv maths), or just adv, it would still only say Bachelor Of SCiene, majoring in xxxxxxx ?

Also in the adv. maths course, is it just maths? Or do you do like some science stuff etc ?
in usyd, for any sci sub first year, u gotta do 3 cp maths, 3 cp other unit of study maths, 6 cp sci junior, 6 cp sci junior and 6 cp option... alot of pplz jsut do an other sci junior ... chem, phys bio are usually the combination...

so in first year, there r no real diff's... in intermediate studies, there are diff'ce i guess...

sHin

Originally posted by CrashOveride
Yes.

CrashOveride

HSC
Is like 3CP of maths mean thats just like one class like adv. linear algebra or something ?

Or does their website have it all posted :)

Wohzazz

HSC
xiao1985---- sorry dude, i don't really get what you are saying
What is cp? And can you put it in plain english the differences. From what i understand, i can see the only difference is that adv maths seems more restricted (to maths)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Wohzazz
xiao1985---- sorry dude, i don't really get what you are saying
What is cp? And can you put it in plain english the differences. From what i understand, i can see the only difference is that adv maths seems more restricted (to maths)
ops, sorry... cp = credit points... it's like units ... you had to do 10 units at least for year 12 right??? cp is sorta equivalent in uni...

normally, first year course are worth 6 cp... aprt from maths which worth 3 each... a 24 cp per semester will usually give you a full time study, although apparently, u can go for more... (a fwnd is considering 30!!!! wut craziness!!!)

for a normal science degree, you need:
math1XXX 3cp
math1XXX 3cp
some science junior 6cp
some science junior 6cp
elective 6cp
for first semester....

for adv science, you need at least half of your cp's to be in adv level... so you don't HAVE to do adv maths...
but in adv maths, the course structure is some what hilarious:

Math19XX
math19XX
rest the same as above...
so you HAVE to do adv maths courses to do b sci(adv maths)

first year, esp first semester, there aren't much difference, cuz there are not really that many choices...
in usyd, you can choose from linear algebra and diff' calculus for maths (normally you need to choose 2 maths any ways, so you don't get to choose at all for maths in first semester)

and for science junior core, you will pretty much have:
Chem:
chem1A
chem1A adv
life science chem
and one for pharmacy as well, i believe...
chem 1a ssp (... =( still can't get ova it!!! >.< ')

and alot more choices in physics and biology i believe...

Wohzazz

HSC
Ok i get the credit points now. Is one semester half a year?
Originally posted by xiao1985
for adv science, you need at least half of your cp's to be in adv level... so you don't HAVE to do adv maths...
but in adv maths, the course structure is some what hilarious:

Math19XX
math19XX
rest the same as above...
so you HAVE to do adv maths courses to do b sci(adv maths)
advance level for science meaning?

for the adv maths course, how many credits go you do?
and what does the '19' in 'math19xx' mean?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Courses have 4 letter names with 4 digits after them.

Normal courses usually begin with 10 then followed by 2 numbers, advanced begin with 19 and have 2 numbers.

The 1 means first year, the 9 means advanced. As an example I'm doing logic, which is MATH3005, i.e. third year, basic course.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
chem1905 = life science..... so the rule does not always apply... but usually it does =)

wohazz, yes one semester = half a year...
any courses usually gives u 24 cp~~~

Collin

HSC
N/A
There's only ten people doing BSc (Advanced Mathematics) each year at USYD?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i dont' suppose tis THAT restricted... keyspad's doin it... well he did top 4u...

i got the offer too, so i don't think tis that hard to get in...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)