• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

B. Science (1 Viewer)

rob92

HSC
I am currently thinking about transfering to the B Science (maths major) and just wanted to know about first year subjects.

With the course i am doing now their are a number of 'core' subjects everyone must complete before deciding what to major in... Is this the same with the science degree (if so what courses must i complete ?)

The UNSW site says i must complete maths1A and maths 1B (while discrete maths is recommended). So thats 18 units (i think), what is the makeup of my other (30?) units ?

If anyone could give me some clarification on this would be much appreciated :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
just read the handbook for B Science.
I'm doing adv. maths so i'm not too sure if the requirements are the same...but i think the rest are just mainly electives.
So for 1st year, i'll do math 1a and 1b, discrete maths, computing (not sure if its required), and the rest might be electives for you. so just do science electives that you like.

rob92

HSC
ok

also i read somewhere that their is general education subjects i have to do (not sure where the list is), but is that sorta similar to the electives, where i just select general education subjects that i also am interested in ?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
ok

also i read somewhere that their is general education subjects i have to do (not sure where the list is), but is that sorta similar to the electives, where i just select general education subjects that i also am interested in ?
yeah, except for gen ed. u cant pick science gen ed, its basically so u learn stuff from another faculty. and thers a list

UNSW Handbook -

think it should be 12 units of gen ed. so u cant choose the science ones.

rob92

HSC
ok cheers man

so just to clarify, basically in my first year ido:
18 units of maths
12 units of gen ed (cant be science based)
18 units of anything

is that right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)