BABS1201 Course Syllabus (1 Viewer)

FeelBare

HSC
Are there any detailed course syllabuses for uni (by detailed syllabus, I mean the ones found on board of studies that we used during high school for Biology, Chemistry, etc.)?

:confused:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
No. The way uni work is different to that of HSC. Everything you need to know in BABS1201 is taught in lectures, tutorials and labs.

Tim035

HSC
I'm writing summaries for it since we don't have any tutorial style questions like we do for chemistry. Basically I sit at my computer, open iLecture listen to the lectuerer speak and then pause and write the important parts then play and repeat.
Durring this break I'll have a read over the parts of the textbook to see if I've missed anything but they seem preety good atm. I get a lot more out of them this way then when I just sit in the lectures and highlight random stuff and write over summarised notes on the slide print offs.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you have the patience to listen to ilectures?
i must congratulate you

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
If you do have time, re-listening to Ilectures are a fantastic way to summarize and start preparing for exams/tests.
Though most of the time you would have already jotted down any points not mentioned in the lecture from the lecturer onto your notes.

It's usually with Prof Mike's lectures that you tend to have those tricky questions come out.

The best way in Uni is to listen to lectures, and use the lectures as a measure of what you need to read in the textbook.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
haha katy, im not sure whether you have to do BABS1101, but thats like 10000 times more boring than 1201 and if wasnt for mike archer then......

Rekkusu

HSC
If you've done Biology HSC and attained at least a mark of 75, you are able to skip BIOS1101, and do Genetics instead.

Try out the ilectures though, they definitely help out, Archer loves making exam questions out of the things he says in the lecture.

1st Year is really tedious, but as Survivor pointed out to me in my 1st year of uni, 2nd year goes straight into your major.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i didn't do hsc biology and have attended all but a few lectures, however i have done absoultely no form of revision or supplementary work outside the lecture theatre...so does that mean i'm screwed? i haven't listened to the ilectures either so basically this whole time i haven't learnt much at all.

also, next session i have a choice between BIOS1101 evolutionary and functional biology OR PSYC1011 Psychology 1B. i think psychology would be much more interesting but i dread the idea of writing essays and having 4 hours worth of psychology lectures a week in addition a tutorial. On the other hand BIOS1101 only has two hours of lectures a week and then a three hour lab which sounds more bearable than PSYC1011 but at the time bio is boring as.

would anyone know if one is 'easier' than the other or which would be the better option?

Rekkusu

HSC
It's hard to say. First Year science degrees are made such that you're allowed to choose a diverse range of courses in your first year, slowly narrowing it to your intended major study.

The best way to decide is to look for the career opportunities.

If you wish to become a researcher in Psychology, perhaps assisting in Neuroscience research in your future or to jump into being a certified Psychologist.

Or, perhaps you're into the real hard sciences. If you're really inspired into say making the next Anti-viral drug, or want to work in laboratories, figuring out why our Immune system is as it is, then Biology is the way to go. In BIOS1101, you'll get to dissect a frog + rat, kind of cool, but I'm not a real anatomy-based person.

I heard from fellow students that Psych, the main objectives are Essays and at the end a 100-150 based multiple choice exam.

As for whether you're 'screwed or not', lol, its only Week 11 or 12 now...so still alot of time to study.

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i can assure you that psyc is the way to go...you certainly dont wanna do BIOS 1101.
there was also a thread if i remember that more people got better grades in psyc than BIOS, which would suggest that psyc is a lot easier of a subject to do good in than BIOS, but that depends on what you wanna do
my 2 cents

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i like the sound of multiple choice exams ^__^

hmmm i'm leaning more towards psyc since i'm finding bio rather boring at the moment, and as a bonus it also costs less hahahaha - although i know i shouldnt base my decision just on that.

i'd also like a break from all of the hard sciences i've been doing in first session, but would i be disadvantaged since i haven't done psyc1a? in one of the threads someone mentioned that you have to do a report in psyc1b whereas in psyc1a you only had to do half of a report.

Rekkusu

HSC
BIOS1201 and BIOS1101 (with 1-2 short answers) also has final exams of all multiple choice I believe.

Be careful of the decisions you make in first year. Many hard-sciences require BIOS1201 & BIOS1101 + 2 Chems + 2 Maths as their pre-requisite. If you do not fulfill these, you cannot take most of the 2nd year BIO/MICR based courses. Exceptions being ANAT/Physiology which require 2 BIOS, 1 CHEM and 1 MATHS.

Though if you're heading in Psychology-areas, you can take Psych together with the BIOS/CHEMs/Maths. But may be alittle hard for you in first year.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: BIOS 1101

I'd do the subject again if only for the Mike Archer lectures. They were extremely awesome. Of course, I did get a mark of like, 57 for that subject so who am I to reccomend whether to do that subject or not. :p

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
all i know is that BIOS 1101 is based purely on multiple choice, and is worth 50% of your total mark
hahaha i only got 49 and got PC for it
mike archer ftw

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
That subject was a joke though, still. What was that awful lecturer with the tuffy hair called? And the other one who was shit? The non Archer one?

All I have is poor memories of UNSW biology because of that course. :(

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha shit i know who youre talking about...but i forgot his name
the one with a huge beer gut or something
yeah id have to agree...BIOS 1101 is ths shittest course ive ever done at unsw....even math1041 kills bios

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I saw Diane (the lady lecturer for those not in the knowhow) at USyd the other day. She must be having a hot fling with a math lecturer there...unless it was her husband, which is doubtful.

It's fun to bag out unsw on the unsw board. :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
haha but as if you still dont feel some sort of emotion though for unsw
i still miss it but uts is mah home now :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)