BABS1201 Course Syllabus (1 Viewer)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
:0 i might not have a choice afterall since psychology lectures clash badly with my other classes which can't be moved. unless i want to stay back and attend the lectures from 6-7pm , which i don't think is worth it. but BIO1101 sounds so bad and hard to do well in.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^I remember posting the stats of the pass rate of that subject here last year. I think about 6 people get HD's in that subject (although that might be because of the bell curve they use).

jemsta said:
haha but as if you still dont feel some sort of emotion though for unsw
i still miss it but uts is mah home now
I feel no emotion for unsw but raw hatred, and regret. :p

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
When we did it, it was called BIOS1201, and the 2nd Semester Evolutionary biology - BIOS1101. Lol Jemsta, you serious? Man, though you put alot of effort in. Haha I talked to one of the lecturers and apparently, there were 23% who either failed, or got PC.

You can see alot of us old guys here saying BIOS instead of BABS. Still can't understand why they changed the name.

Don't even talk about getting past papers, when you can't even get any of your past exams back. BABS usually tends to re-use the questions, hence the rarely release past exams.

You will be however, given a sample paper, but its nowhere near the final exam question. Only 1 question from that sample paper will be used in the final exam. So in all, that guarantees you 1 mark.

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha i remember there was like 4 or 5 question that they used in the sample exam paper which was in the actual exam so there was your 5 marks.
i guess i shouldve studied harder but ive got no regrets :)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Did they take this course out of administration from the BEES office? That could explain why they changed the name (although the fact that 1101 has very little to do with anything BABS related confuses me somewhat).

What mark did Rekkusu get in 1101? Better than 57% I suspect. :D

Rekkusu

HSC
You can of course skip BIOS1101, but you will need at least 75+ in HSC biology and a minimum of a Credit in BIOS1201. :) It is definitely different to what you learn for HSC Biology (Though I didn't do biology, so can't comment too well)

Usually you can replace this with other electives such as Genetics. But depends on your major in your Science degree.

I managed to just scrap a d. The practicals were a total waste of time, kept copying stuff from posters lodged around the laboratory. :bomb:

Goodbye

HSC
Rekkusu said:
I managed to just scrap a d. The practicals were a total waste of time, kept copying stuff from posters lodged around the laboratory. :bomb:
LOL. You cant be serious right. If that was the case Ill just devote my time and staying behind to copying the lab posters. Thumbsup!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha congrats rekkusu.....i wouldve been happy to just get 50
you prob studied heaps for the exam...you certainly deserved it

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Goodbye said:
LOL. You cant be serious right. If that was the case Ill just devote my time and staying behind to copying the lab posters. Thumbsup!
He's serious about those labs though, they were a COMPLETE waste of everyones time. Should have done them in a tut room or something like that and had a discussion about it, rather than wandering around, trying to look at piece of shit posters.

That course was lousy (although maybe that's because I didn't get a D for it :p)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Rekkusu said:
You can of course skip BIOS1101, but you will need at least 75+ in HSC biology and a minimum of a Credit in BIOS1201. :) It is definitely different to what you learn for HSC Biology (Though I didn't do biology, so can't comment too well)

Usually you can replace this with other electives such as Genetics. But depends on your major in your Science degree.

From what you guys have been saying about evolutionary bio and how crap it is, im skipping it..... for sure dude!!!

just need to study first lol, hey, Nebuchanezzar, why dont u give us a past paper for 1st sem bio at USYD??? any paper on cells, molecules and genes will do :)

the unsw lib doenst have any for first year bio :eek:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha yeah skip whilst you can...you certainly dont wanna stick through 3 months of hell
im glad my med sci pracs at UTS isnt nothing like this
its like why turn up to the prac class when all youre gonna do is copy stuff from the cardboard?

Rekkusu

HSC
Yeah Not joking! You spend most labs (Except for 2 labs used for dissecting Rat & Toad) copying crap. Either that, or you're measuring plants.

No way Neb, grading is irrelevant, this course is structured really badly. Skip it if you can, Biochemistry this year is much better in terms of its syllabus.

Goodbye

HSC
Academic usefulness aside...The labs...were they like fun/boring/interesting or what. Other than what was mentioned about the disecting frog and rat parts... LOL.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
for bios 1101
boring to the max...although dissecting a toad and a rat is pretty fun, if you could handle the smell and dead carcasses :D
other than that theres nothing good to look forward to

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
just need to study first lol, hey, Nebuchanezzar, why dont u give us a past paper for 1st sem bio at USYD??? any paper on cells, molecules and genes will do
Well, having not done these courses at USyd, I can't really comment. You might find some past exams on the USyd library website though. The courses are equivalent, so there's no worries there.

jemsta said:
boring to the max...although dissecting a toad and a rat is pretty fun, if you could handle the smell and dead carcasses
And the person who sits next to you walking into the room and promptly walking out with tears in her eyes. :p Good thing we didn't find any babies in the rats I suppose.

I did enjoy bios1201 though, which I guess was the subject this thread was meant to be about. :p I found those enzymes labs quite fun, and interesting.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I did enjoy bios1201 though, which I guess was the subject this thread was meant to be about. :p I found those enzymes labs quite fun, and interesting.
They made it even better now as u dont need to prepare for the labs or do any work, well some work only, and they just sign u out

like u dont even need to fill in the graphs and stuff, i just said, "yeah i'll do it at home"

they made it soo great, and we ddint even need to submit the enzyme report past students had to, we just had to submit an essay on enzymes, which wasnt hard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)