BABS1201 Course Syllabus (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
:bomb:Aw, looks like we were the guinea pigs for BIOS1201. Do you still have to complete a scientific report? Or has it been changed to an essay?

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
yeah, essay

and we had to do this 10 question mc thingy which was 5%

i got 6/10, could have got 7 lol, 7 was the highest mark in my table

the questions were badly worded and my teacher gave me one of the answers in the test- in front of everyone around me

but i love babs

coz with the labs- we dont have to do anything for submission- they just sign us off- like with the graphs, i never did most of them, and im like- "yeah ill try to do it at home..." but honestly, i cant be bothered by the time i reach home, but i know that they dont care- they said so!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Argh! Looks like they made the course easier and easier.. We used to have to do weekly pre-lab tests. :(

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Rekkusu said:
You can see alot of us old guys here saying BIOS instead of BABS. Still can't understand why they changed the name.
Oh, that's because both first year BIOS courses (1201 and 1101) used to belong to the School of BEES. So all the money they make goes to BEES. Now BABS thinks that BIOS1201 is more relevant to BABS areas and decided to take over BIOS1201, so to increase their funding fromthe course. Since BIOS is a course code of the School of BEES, they've changed the code to BABS1201.

It's all about the funding. :)

And yes, BIOS1101 final exam is a killer.. Over 80 MC questions I believe (Can't remember)??! The last 20-30 I completely guessed them. :(

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
Wow.... BIOS1011 sounds like the pits. I've put it into my timetable as it gives a 4 day week at uni, but I really don't think thats worth it now.... Genetics 2021 (I think thats the course code) looks a lot more interesting, but gives me a terrible timetable. It might be worth doing though, can anyone who has done a genetics course offer a comparisson or comment on whether it is more interesting/ difficultly comparisson.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Well, having done both.. My analysis of the two courses:

BIOS1101:
- Boring lectures
- Boring labs
- Overall contents easier than Genetics
- A killer final exam
- Overall a WAM-killer

BIOS2021 - Genetics (Actually I did the advanced version, but both are very similar anyway, including shared lectures. The only difference was more fun lab work)
- Boring lectures
- Fun labs
- Killer continous assessment tasks (and endless number of hard lab tests)
- Killer mid session exam
- Overall a WAM-killer

So there really isn't much a choice there. You'll be screw either way. sorry.. :D

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Well, having done both.. My analysis of the two courses:

BIOS1101:
- Boring lectures
- Boring labs
- Overall contents easier than Genetics
- A killer final exam
- Overall a WAM-killer

BIOS2021 - Genetics (Actually I did the advanced version, but both are very similar anyway, including shared lectures. The only difference was more fun lab work)
- Boring lectures
- Fun labs
- Killer continous assessment tasks (and endless number of hard lab tests)
- Killer mid session exam
- Overall a WAM-killer

So there really isn't much a choice there. You'll be screw either way. sorry.. :D
lol i'll just do maths then! 1041 it is - dont need to do it as i got exempted for it, but i need some stats background if im gonna go into sci! :)

maybe it was soo hard coz u did the adv version? im gonna get out of the adv version as soon as possible lol

Tim035

HSC
Well you've convinced me to stay with evolutionary and functional biology, I'll leave Genetics to the med science students who seem to strive on doing advanced/harder everything.
The course pack doesn't look to bad + all the lecture notes already inside it, thats preety neat.

I have to do Math1041 next semester aswell lol, I heard its really cruzy till about week 10 and then it increases a lot in difficulty.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
mr EaZy said:
lol i'll just do maths then! 1041 it is - dont need to do it as i got exempted for it, but i need some stats background if im gonna go into sci! :)

maybe it was soo hard coz u did the adv version? im gonna get out of the adv version as soon as possible lol
1041 is also shit.

Rekkusu

HSC
With 1031 and 1041 it isn't too hard. There aren't backhanded tricks or MCs.

You know your formulas, and you're set. I just didn't like Diana as lecturer for 1041...abit old-fashioned with the pen with overhead projector, but nice.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the ol' skool lecturers who use pen and projector actually make you pay attention and you end up learning something.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I prefer the blackboard method myself. It's a tad more exciting than this aforementioned "ol' skool" format.

tarsus

Dead Apostle
HSC
Tim035 said:
Well you've convinced me to stay with evolutionary and functional biology, I'll leave Genetics to the med science students who seem to strive on doing advanced/harder everything.
The course pack doesn't look to bad + all the lecture notes already inside it, thats preety neat.
Haha, my first year friend is doing Genetics next session but she's only doing 3 subjects... apparently freeing up some time for second year. Hmm...

Edit: First year friend. :3

Last edited:

Rekkusu

HSC
You'll find alot of 2nd year students doing Genetics as well, since some of us didn't even do Biology for HSC.

Anyhow I'm doing it this coming semester.

stephenchow

HSC
Are there any prequisites to Genetics because I havent done any Biology subjects in 1st semester?
Is it a popular subject?
What do you do in the 3 hour labs?

Rekkusu

HSC
There aren't any 'specific requirements' but it recommends you to have a biology based background so:

* BABS1201 (at least a credit) and at least 75 in your HSC Biology --> You can do genetics in first year.

* Did not do HSC biology or attain a mark of 75 or more, and/OR did not gain at least a credit in BABS1201 --> You must do BIOS1101 as well, before you can enrol in Genetics.

From what I've heard the labs are really fun, gasing flies with CO2. But lectures are deadset boring. But oh well, it beats psychology, apparently one of their lectures (a whole hour) was based upon why the cat didn't eat the mouse or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)