BABS1201 question (1 Viewer)

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
how much do you actually use the 'biology: an australian focus' textbook for this? worth getting or should the course notes and previous HSC bio textbooks/notes suffice?

also is 'lab 0' (the introductory lab to safety etc) held in week 0 (this week) or week 1?

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
how much do you actually use the 'biology: an australian focus' textbook for this? worth getting or should the course notes and previous HSC bio textbooks/notes suffice?

also is 'lab 0' (the introductory lab to safety etc) held in week 0 (this week) or week 1?
Hows about you get to your first lecture first ?

lol at people buying hundreds of dollars worth of textbooks before their lectures even start....

They will cover everything in lectures.

It wouldnt be held in week 0 unless specified by an email / vista.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Hows about you get to your first lecture first ?
because all the cheap ones on textbookexchange.com are disappearing so damn fast like you wouldn't believe (for example, the prescribed chem book: when i checked to see how many were listed there in o-week, there were heaps, so i thought i'd have no problem getting one, but when i checked last night, only ONE listing left), and if i wait until after my first week of lectures or whatever, all the good cheap ones will be gone. i was trying to wait before getting them, honestly...but my wallet can't afford to wait much longer.

gah...emailed someone asking if their book was still for sale, they said yes, i said great i'll probably take it, then like five minutes later they email me saying they sold it to someone else :angry:

/rant

It wouldnt be held in week 0 unless specified by an email / vista
thanks

Tim035

HSC
I've got it still lying around, pretty good condition, if your struggling to get hold of one send me a PM and we can meet up on campus. I didn't use it that much for BABS1201 but used it a lot for BIOS1011, mainly because the lectures were so blah...

ichiraku

HSC
Oh wait. So you guys no longer use the textbook by Campbell? Damn, probably should have sold it to last year's batch of first years then =/

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
I've got it still lying around, pretty good condition, if your struggling to get hold of one send me a PM and we can meet up on campus. I didn't use it that much for BABS1201 but used it a lot for BIOS1011, mainly because the lectures were so blah...
so you used the same one ('biology: an australian focus' by knox) for - is that evolutionary & functional biology? i've sent off a couple of emails on textbookexchange, and if they don't still have their copies to sell, i'll PM you :) thanks.

right now i'm having the most trouble getting the chem1011 textbook...think i'll have to start actually checking those noticeboards on the basser stairs.

xD LOL xD

pulsatile
HSC
I didn't use Knox heaps for BABS1201, the course is taught quite well. I had a great lab demonstrator, who was a little strict but made things fun! And the lecturers are quite clear in delivering the content. I used it more in BIOS1011 [DO NOT PICK! AWEFUL WOEFUL SUBJECT!] because as Tim said the lectureres were quite bland, boring...seriously worst speakers ever, monotone dry voice, dry content... However I did end up buying a Campbell textbook, only because they specified 3 chapters worth of readings in the Knox book (sometimes more) for each bios lab, compared to Campbell, where they were more specific in labelling pages to read, rather than whole chapters.

Lol I don't know, I like having that reassuring/safe feeling that you get from having a textbook on your shelf: like insurance, "just in case..." - even if you don't use it.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
I didn't use Knox heaps for BABS1201, the course is taught quite well. I had a great lab demonstrator, who was a little strict but made things fun! And the lecturers are quite clear in delivering the content. I used it more in BIOS1011 [DO NOT PICK! AWEFUL WOEFUL SUBJECT!] because as Tim said the lectureres were quite bland, boring...seriously worst speakers ever, monotone dry voice, dry content... However I did end up buying a Campbell textbook, only because they specified 3 chapters worth of readings in the Knox book (sometimes more) for each bios lab, compared to Campbell, where they were more specific in labelling pages to read, rather than whole chapters.

Lol I don't know, I like having that reassuring/safe feeling that you get from having a textbook on your shelf: like insurance, "just in case..." - even if you don't use it.
haha, i get that 'reassurance' feeling too :eek: i ended up buying a second hand previous edition one (2nd ed) for $60, since i'm planning on majoring in biological science, so i figured i may as well have a bio textbook of some sort.

it makes me sad that everyone says to avoid bios1101 (evolutionary and functional biology, right? think they swapped a 1 and an 0 or something)...it's compulsory for my major...:( oh well, i guess i should take dr. scott mooney's advice about getting through first year: "do something interesting - join a club! become an alcoholic! get a boyfriend or girlfriend! just do whatever you need to do to get through first year!" :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)