• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bach. of Commerce/Arts (2 Viewers)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I've been wondering for a while what the real advantage of combining arts with commerce would be. I've heard it can be particularly useful if one wants to focus on international business (very broad term I know..), but are there other uses for it? Would it provide a slight edge over a straight bach of commerce?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
A BA tends to help develop skills from what I've heard. (E.g. a major in History would help land a research job because of research and analytical skills you gain.)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Best way I have heard it is a BSci gives you techniques to solve problems while a BA gives you skills to solve/analyse problems. A BA won't help you immediately in terms of giving you a skillset that is required for a specific job in the way that a BSci would to a chemist however it will help you later in your career.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say it offers a slight edge as any double degree would, but realistically for Commerce jobs, nothing in uni really makes much difference since most things are taught either on the job or through self-study (i.e. beyond the depth which Finance would ever get to). The only real advantage of BArts in the Commerce field is it gives you a bit more breadth/experience which might be useful if say you're applying for a Commerce-related job in that particular field.

I always use mining/engineering as my example- an accountant working on an oil reserves valuation project would be far better equipped if they also had the relevant mining/engineering background as well as Commerce.

Same thing applies to anything else with Commerce.

As for Arts specifically, if I were to do it I'd do it for the languages component... but then you could always teach yourself a language through community colleges in less time and not worry about risking your WAM. Obvious loss is that you won't get the exchange opportunities but you'll finish uni faster and get that grad job too.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks guys. Those are all pretty logical ways to approach it.

I agree with what you're saying seremify. I guess that same logic can be applied if I switch the question around to involve the Bach of Applied Finance (combined with professional accounting) from MQ. It'd probably serve a greater purpose if you're seeking a job away from public practise accounting (eg for an organisation like ASIC).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Btw for what it's worth, in a lot of firms if you did a double degree you get a slightly higher starting salary just for that. That being said, from what I've heard it varies between $500 and $2000 which in the scheme of things, is not much at all (nor does it justify the cost of doing that double degree in the first place). Therefore I'd suggest doing the double degree if there's a genuine path of study that you're interested in and could potentially benefit from or combine with your other degree, but don't do it for the sake of doing it or because your ATAR lets you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)