Bachelor of commerce -> UTS/MQ (1 Viewer)

mmmm.

HSC
Hi guys, i have received my ATAR and got 86.75 with band 5s in all my subjects (math, std eng, bus std, modern history, bio) and was wondering if i should go for a bachelor of business at UTS or bachelor of commerce at MQ? ps I've always wanted to go to either USYD/UNSW, so i will try to transfer after 1 year, anyone have any tips/ how easy it may be?

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, with a Bachelor of Commerce - USYD and UNSW are the elite tiers for the specific degree. However, in regards to UTS and MQ the rankings and teaching quality is on the same level there's not much of a difference except for the location but if you do choose to stay at those Uni's MQ has better postgraduate options especially the Masters of Applied Finance and Masters of Business Administration. UNSW Commerce no longer has RPL as the whole course was restructured meaning no units will transfer over and I believe so it is the similar case for USYD. If you are bothered about your units transferring over and not wasting time I recommend enrolling into Bachelor of Arts at USYD majoring in Finance and achieving an 80+ WAM so all your units go through and concurrently in 2022 you start in the Bachelor of Commerce. The UNSW Business School only requires you to do 6 Units and achieve a WAM of 75+ for a successful transfer into Commerce, however none of the courses offer the newer units situated in the 2021 Commerce degree.

In regards, to your actual question it is more of a question which is closer for home most likely none of your units will transfer and you will have to start 1st year again if you manage to successfully transfer.

mmmm.

HSC
Honestly, with a Bachelor of Commerce - USYD and UNSW are the elite tiers for the specific degree. However, in regards to UTS and MQ the rankings and teaching quality is on the same level there's not much of a difference except for the location but if you do choose to stay at those Uni's MQ has better postgraduate options especially the Masters of Applied Finance and Masters of Business Administration. UNSW Commerce no longer has RPL as the whole course was restructured meaning no units will transfer over and I believe so it is the similar case for USYD. If you are bothered about your units transferring over and not wasting time I recommend enrolling into Bachelor of Arts at USYD majoring in Finance and achieving an 80+ WAM so all your units go through and concurrently in 2022 you start in the Bachelor of Commerce. The UNSW Business School only requires you to do 6 Units and achieve a WAM of 75+ for a successful transfer into Commerce, however none of the courses offer the newer units situated in the 2021 Commerce degree.

In regards, to your actual question it is more of a question which is closer for home most likely none of your units will transfer and you will have to start 1st year again if you manage to successfully transfer.
I was looking at rankings (globally) for business degrees and on several websites, MQ is almost 50 ranks lower (i.e. UTS 100, MQ 150), so I'm unsure about that. For transferring i know that an internal transfer is easier, but also there is no guarantee that i would transfer so i don't want to be in a degree which i do not want to do, which is why i wouldn't mind studying business at MQ or UTS if my external transfer doesn't work since i would still be doing business. FOr the units not transferring, i was on the info day for both unis and for transfer questions they didn't bring anything about that up, so i might email them to find out if units transfer or not.

Based on which is closer to home MQ is 40 mins while UTS is 1 hr 10mins, although it's longer i don't mind the travel.

Edit: I saw that you were also planning to do commerce and want to also transfer to UNSW/USYD, and i was wondering which uni/course you chose

Last edited:

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
I was looking at rankings (globally) for business degrees and on several websites, MQ is almost 50 ranks lower (i.e. UTS 100, MQ 150), so I'm unsure about that. For transferring i know that an internal transfer is easier, but also there is no guarantee that i would transfer so i don't want to be in a degree which i do not want to do, which is why i wouldn't mind studying business at MQ or UTS if my external transfer doesn't work since i would still be doing business. FOr the units not transferring, i was on the info day for both unis and for transfer questions they didn't bring anything about that up, so i might email them to find out if units transfer or not.

Based on which is closer to home MQ is 40 mins while UTS is 1 hr 10mins, although it's longer i don't mind the travel.

Edit: I saw that you were also planning to do commerce and want to also transfer to UNSW/USYD, and i was wondering which uni/course you chose
Still deciding, but I was told just be confident in yourself if you choose to do a lower course internally in order to transfer. Regardless, you would require still an 80+ WAM anywhere to transfer (internal or external). The same amount of effort is needed to be put anywhere but from my consultation with others, MAQ courses aren't too bad to get D's and HD's as there's heaps of resources and past papers on StuDocu and other websites.

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad

Travelling an hour extra everyday to get to Uni may take a toll - keep this in mind, the hour could be used to do something else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)