Band 6 in Standard English? (1 Viewer)

mR sinister

HSC
Hey guys, you reckon this year it would be easier to get band 6 in standard english? I don't get why not many people get band 6 in english, is it because their internal marks aren't all that great? or is it because the actual HSC markers mark striclty, Or is it because it hardly scales ( but considering not many people do good, if you get a decent mark you should get scaled ) Thanks, just confused about why only around 20-60 people out of 30,000 have gotten a band 6 for the last 3 years

HSC
The course is standard, and what from i've gathered from my teacher (don't listen that much) its because the highest mark for standard isn't 100 its lowered or something. that means the highest is band 5 but extermely FREAKISH kids get band 6. its all to do with scaling and the top mark being pulled to band 5. or something like that

rawrawr

HSC
and besides.. most kids that would get a band 6 in standard are comfortably doing advanced

B

Beachgirl91

i'm ranked 2 in standard what band would that be? like 5 or so?

laura898

HSC
I've always been told that the highest you can get in standard is a band 5.
They don't give band 6's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I have always heard.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
Pretty much, I mean only 1% of the candidature of 2008 got a Band 6. They are extremely rare and as such, the people who get these marks should have been doing Advanced in the first place.

shady145

Banned
HSC
I've always been told that the highest you can get in standard is a band 5.
They don't give band 6's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I have always heard.
ok i will correct you... You can get a band six... last year 73-74 people got one...

standard english scales the same as advanced english, however the aligning process drags standard down a little.
they use the common paper, gather the marks from adv and std, they then gather marks from modules adv and std, compare the moduels marks to common paper marks, they work out the relative difficulty of each by looking at the marks somehow lol. they then align the marks, standard because of internal marks/rankings being dragged down by being compared with the performance with advanced... this is to my knowledge
it is not impossible to get band 6 in std english, in the last 3 years the numbers have trippled each year
2006: 6-7 people
2007: 22-23 people
2008: 73-74 people

as someone has stated above, people that are capable of getting a band 6 in standard are cappable of getting a b6 in advanced are so generally they do advanced...
whoever mentioned only freakish people get it... not really, more like people who decided standard was better, i seen some cases where schools don't allow people to do advanced unless they get a certain mark in the SC, on this website seomone claims their school didnt let them do advanced because htey only got 87 in SC lol... these are the people getting band 6's. i also think more people are studying now, thus improving the overall marks/performance, thus the increase in band 6's over the years

shady145

Banned
HSC
Hey guys, you reckon this year it would be easier to get band 6 in standard english? I don't get why not many people get band 6 in english, is it because their internal marks aren't all that great? or is it because the actual HSC markers mark striclty, Or is it because it hardly scales ( but considering not many people do good, if you get a decent mark you should get scaled ) Thanks, just confused about why only around 20-60 people out of 30,000 have gotten a band 6 for the last 3 years
it would be easier if std performed better as a whole, this would help the aligning process of std

laura898

HSC
Ahh k. Thanks :)

makes sense. yeah my school chose whether we were in adv or std based on our sc results, and our rankings at the end of year 10. Some people were not happy. lol

ezy_4_u

HSC
if i got like 70 internal mark and im ranked 4th but 10th is below 50 what mark wud i need in the hsc exam to get B5

shady145

Banned
HSC
maybe 70
my english teacher says u add around 12 onto it when its in the 60's

osek

HSC
Ok what all you guys know is what you've heard from other people of what they think of it. In reality, nobody would know how you will scale in the HSC because every year is different. The only you can assure your rank will be around what you expect is to give all you have in your assessments prior to the HSC as these are counted just as much as the actual exam itself and the assessments are what go towards your rank. Basically, Higher rank + High assessment marks = Higher ATAR. Even doing this you won't know your actual rank because what you did good in, the rest of the state might of too thus the Board think the exam was easier so they push all the people who did well slightly lower as its unfair for previous years who they think would have had a harder exam. Thus, if your year just had dumb students they would of thought the exam was harder than previous years so everybody gets scaled up.
Sorry for everyone who got insulted during this, my mums been a careers advisor for years and she marks HSC papers so this is my source of information. Again, she might be wrong, what she told me might be completely wrong, it's just what she's observed each year til now, nobody knows. Good luck with your studies/careers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)