• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Band 6 raw marks? (1 Viewer)

hscc

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone! What raw marks in the externals would be needed to get band 6? approx:

1.) Software Design and Development
2.) Mathematics Extension 1
3.) Mathematics Extension 2
4.) Physics
5.) Economics
6.) English Advanced

Thanks!

Also, is it easier to get a band 6 in physics than economics?

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
The Raw Marks Database is your best reference.

In general, Band 6/E4 raw mark cutoffs (in percentages):

- English Advanced: mid-80s
- Mathematics Extension 1: high 60s
- Mathematics Extension 2: high 60s
- Physics: low-80s
- Economics: mid-80s
- Software Design and Development: mid-80s

Getting Band 6's in Economics and Physics requires a different skillsets. I personally found that I had to put up more effort and work for Economics (as it has more content), though statistically, a greater percentage of Economics students attain a Band 6 than Physics students (albeit the candidature of Physics is close to twice that of Economics, which I think shows that people who do Economics generally knows what they are getting into as opposed to those choosing to do Physics).

leehuan

HSC
The Raw Marks Database is your best reference.

In general, Band 6/E4 raw mark cutoffs (in percentages):

- English Advanced: mid-80s
- Mathematics Extension 1: high 60s
- Mathematics Extension 2: high 60s
- Physics: low-80s
- Economics: mid-80s
- Software Design and Development: mid-80s

Getting Band 6's in Economics and Physics requires a different skillsets. I personally found that I had to put up more effort and work for Economics (as it has more content), though statistically, a greater percentage of Economics students attain a Band 6 than Physics students (albeit the candidature of Physics is close to twice that of Economics, which I think shows that people who do Economics generally knows what they are getting into as opposed to those choosing to do Physics).
Ext 1 looks wrong. Are you sure you didn't include pre-2012 data?

sida1049

HSC
Ext 1 looks wrong. Are you sure you didn't include pre-2012 data?
Actually, it does seem like the cut-off for E4s for both MX1 and MX2 have been gradually inflating. But the 2013 E4 cut-off for MX1 seems to be high 60s (68-69ish).

leehuan

HSC
Actually, it does seem like the cut-off for E4s for both MX1 and MX2 have been gradually inflating. But the 2013 E4 cut-off for MX1 seems to be high 60s (68-69ish).
That makes sense. That was a harder year. But '14 and '15 brought it back up again.

The introduction of multiple choice made it easier to attain a higher % in terms of raw marks

He

HSC
For 2015 80% raw in Adv Eng got me a 90, and 73% in MX2 got me an 89. So you'll probably want to be aiming for mid 70's to get an E4 in MX2. The rest of my marks were further away from 90 so won't be as useful to you, given that you are trying to discern the cutoffs but nonetheless here they are, Phys: 87% => 93. MX1: 87% => 94.

hscc

HSC
N/A
For 2015 80% raw in Adv Eng got me a 90, and 73% in MX2 got me an 89. So you'll probably want to be aiming for mid 70's to get an E4 in MX2. The rest of my marks were further away from 90 so won't be as useful to you, given that you are trying to discern the cutoffs but nonetheless here they are, Phys: 87% => 93. MX1: 87% => 94.
Ah, thanks! Well, all in proportion I guess -> relatively easier 4u exam would require a higher raw mark I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)