• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Band Six for english standard? (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
aos...basically both advanced and standard do the same thing...ie for section 1 and 2.....
for standard modules it changes...it would be really really hard to get a band 6 and if you were then you should be doing advanced
ill say that if you prob could get somewhere between 80-85 then maybe a band6? otherwise ill say aim for 75+/105 to get a band 5 result

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
i got 81 in trials, im aiming for like 85+/105 ;s

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
They all depend on the student. So far:
Band 6 English Paper 1: OK
Band 6 English Paper 2: High

Since Paper 1 is common to the Advanced Paper 1, most of the time, the Advanced students kick ass in that exam compared to Standard. That's why not many people score band 5 or band 6 in Standard, because they get hammered by the Advanced people in the AOS exam no matter how well they do in the modules. In the modules, I think people have scored really well but their AOS exam drags them down because that's when they are competing with the state cohort. So if you ace the AOS exam and at least sustain yourself in similar ranks in the Modules Paper, then the chances of band 6 are increased. If you do score a band 6, then you are usually in the top 1-2% of the state Advanced/Standard cohort.

HSC
a guy at our school got paper 1 36/45 and then paper 2 56/60, i wouldnt be surprised if he gets band 6 in the state hes really good

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
my teacher reckons i will be the first student in the history of my school to get a band 6 in standard. I really should have done advanced but im so lazy, i chose the easy way out. and i didnt wanna do shakespere. :D. standard english is sooo fkn piss easy.

Estelle

i hate to tell you but the chances of band 6 in standard are basically 0. Last year, only 2 people in the state who do standard got band 5, and they were mature age students. If you were aiming for band 6 you should have picked advanced, and even then its very rare for even advanced candidates to get band 6.

also everyone seems to be confused:

a band 5 mark is 80 to 89

a band 6 mark is 90 to 100

(band 4 being 70- 79 and so on)

Last edited:

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Estelle: You're wrong. BOS don't release raw marks and the cutoff changes every year. 5 people in my teachers class last year got band 5 so i doubt 2 people did.

I also should of chose advanced, but I was lazy in year 10 so chose standard, meh..

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
STOP ASKING THESE QUESTIONS! None of us will be getting band 6, only two got it last year, you need FULL MARKS in EVERY question, as the moderation process brings a mark of 100 down to about 90-91.
I highly doubt that the two people who got band 6 last year scored full marks in every question. That would make a raw mark of 100, which ALWAYS becomes an aligned mark of 100.

Estelle

well sorry if i'm wrong but our teacher is a marker and she does it every year and thats what she told me. Are you sure that the people you mentioned didnt do advanced, i highly doubt that many from standard got band 5 also.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As 2/31019 results in a negligible figure (0.006%)

But yeh it was 2 people. That fact was extensively reported in the media, and around here last year

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
That's because 2 people makes less than 0.01% of the candidature. The figures are rounded off to 2 decimal places. So 2 people out of 31019 in 2004 would make an extremely tiny percentage which cannot be expressed in 2 decimal places as a non-zero number.
Also, 1.97% got band 5 last year. That's like 600+ people. As a percentage, that's puny, but 600+ people getting band 5 is quite a substantial number as opposed to the minute numbers who get band 6.
As for Estelle, check the Top Achiever's list on that BOS site. You'll see for English Standard there are only 2 people on the list. Those people who topped the course had scored band 6 last year.

HSC
N/A
Someone at my school who doesn't know much about the English course at all, made a bet with my teacher when she moved her down from Advanced to Standard, that she would get a band 6 in Standard English.

I told her that it's practically impossible, and last year only 2 students out of around 30,000 actually got a band 6. She said "Alright well.... well I'm getting a band 5"

She didn't believe me when I said only -2% get band 5's in Standard English.... and you're doing damn well if you manage to get 75 or so.

She still insists she's going to get a band 5/6 - even though when she was in Advanced, she didn't even bother to start reading any of our texts :rolleyes:

(Don't mind me.... just having a crack at my school)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm, whilst it appears as though two students scored 90+ in Standard last year (and technically I suppose this is correct), it is interesting to note that one of the students had a mark of exactly 90 and the other only had 89.5 (but it was rounded up to 90 when it was reported).

No-one has managed to obtain a mark over 90 yet.

DanielleM

HSC
If your ranked 1 internally in standard and manage to ace the HSC, band 6 is possible right? Because I've been 1 in both 11 and 12

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
DanielleM said:
If your ranked 1 internally in standard and manage to ace the HSC, band 6 is possible right? Because I've been 1 in both 11 and 12
Yeh, I suppose so, especially if you kill the AOS exam with a mark like 40+/45. That's what I'm hoping to do. I'm expecting more than two people to get it this year and maybe even more by next year. But the candidature for Standard is decreasing every year since Advanced is increasing in candidature annually by a few thousand.

ioniser

HSC
DanielleM said:
If your ranked 1 internally in standard and manage to ace the HSC, band 6 is possible right? Because I've been 1 in both 11 and 12[/QUOTE

well it all goes down to your hsc if you get 91 thne automatically wotevr your internal mark was becomes 91 then add the 2 togethr and divide 2 and your hsc mark is 91

example

internal mark=88
hsc mark in exam=93
moderated mark=93

overall mark=(hsc mark in exam+moderated mark)/2=93(band6)

Estelle

DanielleM said:
i have been proven wrong with my comments about band 5 and 6, but yes band 6 is possible but highly rare. i said this in another thread but the advanced teacher at our school compared the top person on standard to the people in advanced and it was still nowhere near the worst people in advanced. i think having having standard and advanced classes in any subject is not fair, because doing standard it pretty much sets you up to do worse, just by doing advanced you will do better generally, simply because of the manner in which the advanced course is taught. grr unfair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)