Bands 4 & 5 English Standard (1 Viewer)

Nikolerak

HSC
What internal marks should I be getting in Year 12 to achieve B 4 or 5 in HSC?

quickoats

HSC
Internal marks are not the best predictors for HSC performance - they vary so much from school to school. Band 4-5 is definitely above average, so you should be doing above average at school. Sometimes schools will mark quite easy or quite harsh so it is difficult to say what HSC mark you'll get, especially in a subjective subject like English

In terms of raw HSC marks, Standard generally has little alignment - your HSC mark would be your raw mark + a couple points, depending on where you are in terms of bands.

For band 6 - maybe 1-2 marks below the reported hsc mark
For band 5 - 3-6 below
For band 4 - 6-10 below

This is why it's so rare to see band 6s in standard - the cohort in general is worse than the advanced cohort, and those who get a band 6 are losing only ~1-2 marks per section.

Nikolerak

HSC
Internal marks are not the best predictors for HSC performance - they vary so much from school to school. Band 4-5 is definitely above average, so you should be doing above average at school. Sometimes schools will mark quite easy or quite harsh so it is difficult to say what HSC mark you'll get, especially in a subjective subject like English

In terms of raw HSC marks, Standard generally has little alignment - your HSC mark would be your raw mark + a couple points, depending on where you are in terms of bands.

For band 6 - maybe 1-2 marks below the reported hsc mark
For band 5 - 3-6 below
For band 4 - 6-10 below

This is why it's so rare to see band 6s in standard - the cohort in general is worse than the advanced cohort, and those who get a band 6 are losing only ~1-2 marks per section.
Is the raw mark an average of all my internal assessments?

quickoats

HSC
Is the raw mark an average of all my internal assessments?
When I say raw marks, I’m referring to the mark you achieve on the HSC paper i.e. if you get 85% on the paper itself, your raw mark is 85/100. The HSC mark you get sent (via text) is not the raw mark you achieved on the HSC paper - it is generally adjusted to be a bit higher for a few reasons.

Your average mark of school assessments is often referred to as an “internal mark” but is often mixed up with the “assessment mark” which is reported to you by NESA. Your internal marks (averaged by your school) are adjusted by NESA to the HSC scale then given back to you as your ‘internal’ assessment marks.

I’ve kept this quite simplified but if this is confusing just reply and I’ll try to clarify.

_rakelt

HSC
I was getting high band 5's to high band 6's so id say thats the goal

Last edited:

Nikolerak

HSC
When I say raw marks, I’m referring to the mark you achieve on the HSC paper i.e. if you get 85% on the paper itself, your raw mark is 85/100. The HSC mark you get sent (via text) is not the raw mark you achieved on the HSC paper - it is generally adjusted to be a bit higher for a few reasons.

Your average mark of school assessments is often referred to as an “internal mark” but is often mixed up with the “assessment mark” which is reported to you by NESA. Your internal marks (averaged by your school) are adjusted by NESA to the HSC scale then given back to you as your ‘internal’ assessment marks.

I’ve kept this quite simplified but if this is confusing just reply and I’ll try to clarify.
So that mark sent via text is always a bit higher or can be lower as well?

quickoats

HSC
So that mark sent via text is always a bit higher or can be lower as well?
In terms of your raw hsc mark, the final reported HSC mark will always be the same of higher than the mark you actually scored on the exam. However, your final HSC ‘internal assessment’ mark has the potential to be a lot lower than your school average mark - i.e. if your school marks too easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)