• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Battle At Plataea (1 Viewer)

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
hiya
i'm just a bit confused about the battle of plataea, and who was more responsible for victory there, the athenians, or spartans. I have two contradicting sources, and i'm really confused!!
I know there's already another thread on the persian wars, but that is what has confused me!
so if anyone could help, that'd be tops! :)

Magister

HSC
N/A
re battle of Plataea

Hi!

I think you will find that most sources acknowledge that Sparta and Pausanias were most responsible for the victory at Plataea. They managed to keep a large combined loyalist Greek force under some degree of contro, despite the many squabbles and conflicts between the various states and their leaders. The Athenians were particularly unco-operative about tactics and leadership matters and almost jeopardised the conduct of the battle.

It was Spartan training, discipline and determination that held the Greeks together and finally routed the Persians.

What sources are you referring to? Herodotus is not always reliable as he tended to be pro-Athenian. Have you read Ehrenberg, From Solon to Socrates, Hammond, A History of the Greek World, A.H.M. Jones, Sparta, W.G.Forrest, A History of Sparta, and any work on Sparta by Paul Cartledge. They are all excellent secondary sources.

I hope this gives you a clearer idea about Plataea.

Best wishes,

Magister

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
thank you very muchly! it did make it a little clearer.. I think the source i read was a Herodotus one, it said something about the Athenians sending a message to the Spartans saying they weren't impressed at the lack of spartan support, it sent me into spirals of confusion! good old Herodotus! :S
Oh, and weren't the athenians happy with spartan leadership because they realised it was for the good of the whole of greece, as no one would fight under athenian control.. crikey, maybe that was another Herodotus source... darn!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)