• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BCom/BSci (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
IIRC some of the math courses (and a few others, see here http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2008/3529.html) at UNSW count for both the 'commerce' and 'science' components of the double degree.

Does it really matter though, why UNSW is 4 years and USYD is 5 years? As in when you find why UNSW is a year shorter, would that decisively impact upon your decision?

The only thing i can add if this happens to be your worry, is simply that UNSW Commerce / Science is not a diluted double degree like the single degree Commerce (liberal studies) is.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I dont think you can call Liberal studies a diluted degree as by invention its supposed to be a 'Commerce' degree with a little general knowledge attached rather than a composition of two other degrees :p

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Vagabond said:
I dont think you can call Liberal studies a diluted degree as by invention its supposed to be a 'Commerce' degree with a little general knowledge attached rather than a composition of two other degrees :p
I used to do Liberal Studies.

Yes, it is diluted, i wanted the full spectrum of elevated experiences in art, science and everything cultural :wave:

Not QMGAY (QMA).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Bobness said:
IIRC some of the math courses (and a few others, see here http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2008/3529.html) at UNSW count for both the 'commerce' and 'science' components of the double degree.

Does it really matter though, why UNSW is 4 years and USYD is 5 years? As in when you find why UNSW is a year shorter, would that decisively impact upon your decision?

The only thing i can add if this happens to be your worry, is simply that UNSW Commerce / Science is not a diluted double degree like the single degree Commerce (liberal studies) is.
That was the most useless post i've read all day.

At UNSW, you do one major in com, one in science. At usyd, you can do up to 5 majors if subject areas overlap, or you can do 4 comfortably.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
velox said:
That was the most useless post i've read all day.

At UNSW, you do one major in com, one in science. At usyd, you can do up to 5 majors if subject areas overlap, or you can do 4 comfortably.
Well no, not really because i provided a link to the online UNSW handbook, so that the OP could do a bit of independent research if she wanted.

As well as my personal experiences, because i have studied one of the listed degrees (and the recommended subjects) at UNSW.

Thanks for your (initial) remark though. I'm sure that was useful :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
At UNSW you can do 2 majors in Science and 1 in Commerce if you can fit everything in (I know because I did). Also, in the end your majors are second to the degrees attained, so it's more efficient at UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)