Beazley's visa values plan (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Beazley mauled over visa conditions

KIM Beazley's plan to make a pledge to uphold the "Australian values" of freedom, democracy and gender equality a condition of entering the country has caused outrage within the Labor Party.
The Opposition Leader, also under attack for his comments on Muslims, stared down strong criticism from Labor colleagues yesterday after proposing a plan forcing visitors to Australia to sign visas endorsing Australian values.

Labor MPs told The Australian last night they were deeply concerned about the proposal, which was made without consultation, was not workable and undermined the party's values.

Labor sources said respected former immigration minister and party powerbroker Robert Ray was scathing of the idea in Labor caucus, asking: "Will this be dropped this week or next week?" [...]

Full Article
Matt Price: Kim vulnerable to vigorous invective

WHAT fun it will be should Kim Beazley's brainwave demanding tourists and visitors sign up to good old-fashioned Aussie values catches on elsewhere.
Will we need to endorse the proud Kiwi custom of sleeping 14 to a room to save money before holidaying in New Zealand? Commit to gorging on whale meat in Japan, executing criminals in Singapore? What if Islamic nations suddenly demand we sign up to good old-fashioned Muslim values before travelling to Indonesia, Pakistan or Chad?

By now you'll have guessed The Sketch isn't keen on the values-added visa. Nor, apparently, are a number of Labor MPs. [...]

Full Article
Beazley's press release on Australian values

Only mates allowed on golden soil
Beazley cops ALP flack over 'mateship' visa
Ethnic lobby slams value visas
Gillard cold on values pledge plan

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Asking tourists to accept values is just crazy. He must have decided to have a go at some 'populism' but has failed pretty badly.
Though I think that it's an idiotic proposal and that it's only right that he be mauled by some of his backbenchers, he didn't exactly fail in his attempt to drum up some populist support for the ALP -

Minor revolt over Beazley's 'Aussie values' plan

lengy

HSC
That's interesting, because the reason I wouldn't go to China is for fear of prosecution, having to crap in holes, deal with their 'citizens' and their 'manners'. I don't see what he's asking as being unreasonable. Do you see a problem with freedom, democracy and gender equality? If other countries introduced policies upon entry with reasonable demands why not? It's only when they begin asking more silly things that it becomes a problem. Going to another country you should at least research their culture. I know for one thing that in the Phillipines that the people are like parasites and take your bag without asking then demand pay for services. I find this disgraceful and will not visit the Phillipines as a result. If however Japan demanded understand of basic etiquette to be respectful I don't see this as a problem. They ARE on our soil. I remember the Rugby World Cup and their was vomit everywhere. Disgusting behaviour.

topdeck

HSC
Has anyone even stopped to ask what an Australian value is? How can he say that values such as 'freedom' and 'democracy' are specific to Australia? I don't think Kim really thought this one through...

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Tourists will sign anything on the paper put forward by immigration to come to australia even if it means execution at the airport lol, they don't really care or read anything. Just look at Border Security program on Channel 7. But Kim Beazley will always be a flip-flopper while John Howard's straightforward stance on issues like immigration actually helps Australia in controlling illegal immigration.

banco55

HSC
topdeck said:
Has anyone even stopped to ask what an Australian value is? How can he say that values such as 'freedom' and 'democracy' are specific to Australia? I don't think Kim really thought this one through...
Where does he say they are specific to Australia? "Freedom", "Democracy" certainly aren't Arab or Chinese values but they are values that have shaped the history of the west for quite a few centuries. I think getting casual visitors to sign these things is dumb. Getting people applying for permanent residency or citizenship to sign something similar would not be a bad idea.

Generator

HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
Getting people applying for permanent residency or citizenship to sign something similar would not be a bad idea.
How do I become an Australian Citizen?

Step 4: The final step is making the Pledge of Commitment at a citizenship ceremony.
Changes in the Australian Oath of Citizenship

Form of Pledge No. 1

From this time forward, under God, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

Form of Pledge No. 2

From this time forward, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

---

The Pledge came into effect in January 1994. There have been no changes since.

gerhard

HSC
lengy said:
That's interesting, because the reason I wouldn't go to China is for fear of prosecution, having to crap in holes, deal with their 'citizens' and their 'manners'. I don't see what he's asking as being unreasonable. Do you see a problem with freedom, democracy and gender equality? If other countries introduced policies upon entry with reasonable demands why not? It's only when they begin asking more silly things that it becomes a problem. Going to another country you should at least research their culture. I know for one thing that in the Phillipines that the people are like parasites and take your bag without asking then demand pay for services. I find this disgraceful and will not visit the Phillipines as a result. If however Japan demanded understand of basic etiquette to be respectful I don't see this as a problem. They ARE on our soil. I remember the Rugby World Cup and their was vomit everywhere. Disgusting behaviour.
Summarised version - I'll only visit other countries as long as theres no difference between my own country and the one Im going to.

Extra Summarised version - STRAYARULESOK?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I am loath to agree with Miranda Devine, but this is really sad stuff from Beazley.

One can't but appreciate the absurdity of the situation though, when Amanda Vanstone accuses Beazley of pandering to xenophobia. I mean just what has the world come to!

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I am loath to agree with Miranda Devine, but this is really sad stuff from Beazley.

One can't but appreciate the absurdity of the situation though, when Amanda Vanstone accuses Beazley of pandering to xenophobia. I mean just what has the world come to!
I don't get her article (like many). She's attacking Kim for copying what was raised by the Liberals a year ago? Of which she treats positively.

...and then she says this?
He is trying to talk the talk he cynically thinks will win him votes from anti-Muslim bigots.
Doesn't that mean, by implication, that John Howard is attempting to win votes from anti Muslim bigots?

In the same article she lauds Howard for taking an early stance in Aussie values and then describes such tactics, when used by Big Kim, as bigot baiting.

She never really makes sense. I mean I get to the end of most of her articles and sit there wondering what the hell I just read. She just rambles and jumps all over the place. I don't know whether she writes to bate people from the center to center left or she actually really believes what she writes. Most of her articles have the structure and subject discipline of something knocked up in a lunch break.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah I know, it's silly

Message 1 is "The Libs thought of X first, why are you so slow to do X?"

Message 2 is "X is wrong! Don't do it!"

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
i think it's so stupid.
even if they did get them to tick these little boxes on their visa application, people aren't going to instantly change their mindsets once the plane lands in australia.
... well for tourists anyway.
they're only in the country for a limited amount of time.
why would they need to??

if someone was to apply for premanent residency or anything of the sort, however, then maybe...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I thought it was good politics. The Coalition have almost totally absorbed the One Nation dickheads (10% of the electorate) at Labor's expence.
Reality is that this country is pretty red-neck and are impressed by such stunts.
Of course it's xenophobic, ineffective and totally offensive to the great old Labor party, but it shows he's serious. He wants this one.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
^^^ let's not get into a "media is biased break out the tinfoil hats" mood yet.

This was a goddamn awful idea on the part of Mr Beazely, and puts in mind Iemma trying to one-up Debnam during that whole Sydney gangs fiasco. While Labor needs to sieze the situation, it should not involve the good ol' foot shoot.

*Minka*

HSC
Is this country just TRYING to make me feel unwelcome in what I thought was MY country too. Why don't they just tell me to get out and piss off back to Zagreb because we can't have Multiculturalism anymore. If I am not wanted, tell me.

This is really starting to take its toll on me. All this racism....

lengy

HSC
Do you speak English? Do you hold 'Australian' values? Then you don't have anything to worry about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)