• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Becoming a paramedic? (1 Viewer)

mack

Banned
HSC
Exactly what is required to become a paramedic? University degree? This is another field of work ive been considering, it seems like very interesting work. Is this a particularly tough occupation? Mentally demanding? Ive heard some of the horror stories of things paramedics have had to come face to face with in the U.S, but does anything seriously bad ever happen in Australia? Thanks in advance for your help.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
ofcourse you will encounter an array of situations, in australia especially, unless youre stationed out in some country town, youre going to se very gruesome stuff.

Last edited:

mack

Banned
HSC
What do you mean by australia especially? are we renowned for violent crimes or horrific motor accidents? Thanks for your help anyway..

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think CSU or one of those unis has a degree in it...or something like that...
and i would imagine it would be very physcially and mentally demanding.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
CSU Bathurst has a paramedics degree, and the only double degree in paramedics and nursing. My friend is doing the double with nursing and he loves it. He is determined to be a paramedic and I think it would be a good career for him.

Of course you would encounter some horrible things.... if you don't want to encounter horrible things, don't think about being a paramedic or a doctor or even a nurse or policeperson.

santaslayer

HSC
I didnt think u needed a degree to become a para.....dont u just need some certification?

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by mack
Exactly what is required to become a paramedic? University degree? This is another field of work ive been considering, it seems like very interesting work. Is this a particularly tough occupation? Mentally demanding? Ive heard some of the horror stories of things paramedics have had to come face to face with in the U.S, but does anything seriously bad ever happen in Australia? Thanks in advance for your help.
YOU GET TO DRIVE AROUND REALLY FAST!!!1!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Apparently it's becoming very hard to get in to without a university degree... and my friend said something about if you don't have a degree there is a long waiting list for a job and you basically get no say in where you work.... you might wanna check all this out, surely the ambulance service has a website or something with info, because I dunno if I have got this right or if I am muddled.

mack

Banned
HSC
Well then if i do end up pursuing this career, ill definitely go with the degree, because i wish to work around the central coast-sydney region....And I have seen very horrible things before, ive seen more pictures of murders/car accidents/terrorism acts than you could poke a stick at.

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys,
When my bro was transferred in a ambo this year for an emergency operation; I was in with the driver talking to him about careers in the ambulance.

Anyway - he said if you dont have a degree, just apply and they train you - it is VERY hard to get in, plus you will only be a low classification officer - i think there are 4 levels.

If you get a degree you are a paramedic; big difference - u can issue more drugs etc - he said the difference is huge!

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
u can do a nursing course trhgouh tafe(TEN)trained registered nurse and after finsihing the full degree in uni,and then u can transfer.....ask the uni..if its avaailable specially Uni of Sydney!

bex

HSC
the combined nursing/ paramedics degree at CSU Bathurst fast tracks the process.. im not entirely sure how but it apparently does... why dont you talk to your careers advisor bout it?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah my friend was saying it was hugely fast tracked but I can't remember why it was lol. I think they also offer a straight paramedics degree at bathurst as well? Or am I mistaken?

bex

HSC
ok heres the deal! you can be an ambo if you go to the ambo academy in rozelle sydney. However, there are 4 stages in the process and if you only go to the academy then you are only likely to make it to stage 2. At CSU, Bathurst they have a combined nursing/ paramedics degree which means that when you go to the academy, you are more likely to make it to the 4th level which is a full paramedic. Also, they offer you pracs in both nursing and paramedics throughout your degree so when you do get to the academy you have a fair bit of training up your sleeve already...

i hope that helps!

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by bex
the combined nursing/ paramedics degree at CSU Bathurst fast tracks the process.. im not entirely sure how but it apparently does... why dont you talk to your careers advisor bout it?
I think my friend's doing that at the moment and every time she comes back to Sydney she's actually working as a paramedic.

mack

Banned
HSC
Does anyone know of any websites or other sources which will show me pictures(of situations in australia) of what i will have to face?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)