Belonging Creative Writing Ideas (1 Viewer)

ScienceNerd93

HSC
my creative writing piece is abot an organ transplant where the organ goes from somewhere it belongs to somewhere where it is attacked and the antirejection medicine helpsit to belong
i do bioogy andmy sister has cystic fibrosis so i thought it would be quite original.

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
How bout the fractured relationship between estranged family members and friends, who discover a long-lost sense of belonging by way of shared experiences and memories? This is the central idea that I'm hoping to adopt for all my creative writing pieces, sounds cliched I know but then again isn't the very idea of belonging itself cliched?

TheMM

HSC
would a creative writing about someone who just came out of jail after decades and cant connect to community be a good idea of not belonging?
Sounds like Shawshank Redemption. Could be good depending on how you approach it.

trang8

HSC
my creative writing piece is abot an organ transplant where the organ goes from somewhere it belongs to somewhere where it is attacked and the antirejection medicine helpsit to belong
i do bioogy andmy sister has cystic fibrosis so i thought it would be quite original.
Oh wow I'd love to hear that story. Can i read it?

kBOS

HSC
N/A
people who have done really well with these in the past, what kind of approach did you take?

inoubliable

HSC
I've got the idea of being in an adoption home for an entire childhood, where she never fits in etc, kids tease her etc but in a non-cliche way, then come 18 she leaves and trys to fit .. although I'm having difficulties trying to finish it well.. can anyone help?!

Raeble

HSC
I wrote about two girls, one who's blind and one who's deaf.
The blind one wears glasses to try to blend in, and the the deaf girl has headphones.
In the end they swap.
I don't know how effective that is though.

mystery_meat

HSC
I've got the idea of being in an adoption home for an entire childhood, where she never fits in etc, kids tease her etc but in a non-cliche way, then come 18 she leaves and trys to fit .. although I'm having difficulties trying to finish it well.. can anyone help?!
Honestly, that sounds very cliched. Yes, it's pretty much impossible to come up with an original idea, but the whole thing - kid who is teased and feels like she doesn't belong runs away - is extremely overused.

Your writing doesn't have to be centered around such an obvious example of belonging; my advice would be to make a mind map, or list, of all the smaller & less obvious examples. Look at your everyday life & try and find situations where you have felt either a sense of disconnection or connection with others or the broader world. It can be anything and everything - e.g. traveling alone on the train. What is the social protocol? Everyone sits there, maintaining a certain distance, avoiding eye contact etc etc. What does this say about our society and how does it demonstrate belonging? The avoidance of personal contact seems to suggest an unwillingness to form connections, a disinterest and isolation. Yet this ritual and social norm connects them, binds them in a way.

You can find examples of belonging and not belonging in absolutely everything. Your writing doesn't have to be all action and drama; it can be something incredibly simple. And by really getting involved in the characters thought process you can create movement and development.

Anyway, I hope it all goes well!

EDIT: I just realised she doesn't "run away", but leaves. Still, I don't think that really makes a difference in regards to what I've written.

Last edited:

nnarsey

Gandhi
HSC
I was thinking of writing a diary entry about Pluto being told it was not a planet. Something quirky and original. Feedback would be appreciated, my trial is tomorrow.

specky2009

HSC
I was thinking of writing a diary entry about Pluto being told it was not a planet. Something quirky and original. Feedback would be appreciated, my trial is tomorrow.
Sorry I know that this is a late reply but that idea sounds great! Very quirky :)

engie_benji

HSC
my english teacher is a good teacher but she admits herself that she has had no training in the creative writing department. She isnt sure if you can do a 1st person creative writing piece regarding an object that doesnt directly have an intellectual thought process. For example a new born baby thinking about her surroundings or an organ inside the body talking about how it is beginning to fail. She thinks you can, but isnt sure if it is a good idea. Thoughts??

nnarsey

Gandhi
HSC
thanks, i ended up writing it as a feature article, coz the diary entry turned into a poem

engie_benji

HSC
I think belonging to place is harder, ive got belonging to people covered, but im strugglin to find one for place

Arcelia

HSC
Place is actually quite a bit broader than people; it's not just location, after all, and is much more easy to link to the more profound sense of belonging to oneself. While the classic city vs. countryside is a bit clichèd, the dissonance of location with the internal works really well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)