• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Belonging creative (1 Viewer)

denny94

HSC
we all experienced exclusion from people, or feel a great sense of belonging in our lives. You can draw from that but put a twist on characters and setting

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Rip stuff off other people. LOL
I know that seems lazy but its so much easier to find inspiration from other stories that already work and then redo it in your own way.
Our teacher gave us the SMH Short Story Competition winner to check out what good stories look like and i basically used that but changed certain elements around and focused more on belonging. She didnt notice and i ended up with a really high mark.

delian

HSC
N/A
It is more adviseable to have your own ideas. I found it really easy to remember my creative when it came to exam time.

Skeptyks

HSC
Didn't you guys finish the Belonging Creative in Term 4 last year?
Protip: Don't talk about schools.

Last edited:

eat_well

HSC
Start with a storyline. Just a basic idea. Create your characters, think about the setting and through that you will be able to start the skeleton of your story. When you think of your character, let them be real and let them have flaws. It took me a really long time to think of my storyline from scratch and I still don't know if it's good enough but at least I have some sort of direction.
From that, you begin writing. It doesn't have to be perfect because we all still have time till our assessments. You can alter it as many times as you want, just like an essay. The teacher is also there for your help and I'm sure they will be willing to look over your creative piece and return it back asap.

Aysce

HSC
Out of curiosity, when is our belonging story being tested? I need to start writing one up then :/ Nevertheless, creative stories are the best to write :D

powlmao

Banned
HSC
My school has done the essay in aos but not creative.

Anyone want to send me there's ?

SanjoyM

HSC
My advice would be to start with a character's reflection about his life, belonging etc... BUT, DO NOT explicitly mention belonging!!
Think about how you as a character would feel in a certain situation. Now, pour all your emotions onto the paper.
If you are really stuck, then adapt the 'Stream of consciouness' style writing.

So, write whatever comes to your mind even it is does not make sense. Eventually, ideas will start flowing out. :) Worked for me, and now I have my belonging creative:)

Aysce

HSC
How long should it roughly be?

SanjoyM

HSC
Well, I would recommend 700 words, so that you have 200 words left to adapt to the question or mould your story into the question in a subtle manner:)
My story is about 700, and when I practiced a past hsc paper question, It was about 899 after adapting to the question. So, it helps to have 200 words that you can add later on.

delian

HSC
N/A
Oh yes, our teachers told us not to have the word 'belong' in our creative. Don't make it too explicit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)