Best country to work at? (1 Viewer)

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, Im currently studying Commerce and i was wondering..
Which country do you guys think would be the best to work at in terms of the current/future prospects and situations?
I was thinking of working in HK and transferring to Commerce/Arts to learn the chinese language or asian studies.
However, I'm not quite sure if it's worth it working over there or if i should stay in Australia.

Any experience/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Lol, don't transfer to Arts for language,especially something like Chinese, it's going to bring your WAM down. And as much as you think,you're not going to learn enough Chinese to be able to use it as a daily conversation at your workplace(in those 2 years, where you won't focus exclusively on the language), there's already plenty of students who are native level bilinguals in both languages. Don't think like it will make you stand out, for a commerce job you should focus on your commerce subjects and WAM that's what they will really be looking for,speaking native level Canto is more of a given in most resumes when applying to Hong Kong(although they do sometimes accept English speakers, the big multi-nationals). That said you can always transfer to the double degree so you have more time to focus on your resume, but you have to think whether it's worth it, if your doing it to improve employability that's ok but you're better off doing diploma of languages at the uni for a fraction of the cost and it won't pressure your WAM, instead do a degree that you either enjoy and know will keep or your improve your WAM or something that will increase employability e.g. B.ECO,B.LAW

In terms of best country,that's pretty subjective, I wouldn't work in Egypt if they gave me a 10-15k salary bonus,because in the end,it wouldn't suit my tastes and lifestyle,ultimately the work is only one part of life,there's more to do then just work, so you should recognise where you feel you will belong and where you would enjoy living. (visit the country a couple of times first).

Why Hong Kong anyways?you'll be at much bigger disadvantage as you'll competing against others with top degreess from the UK and US and who potentially have much better prospects in getting the job,and the pay isn't really better or if so,very little difference.

Gotta say though Australia is pretty good,our commerce salaries are at least top 3 from what I've seen on international job recruitment sites,(in terms of grad and mid-level)

Your best choice would be to get good WAM, get a job here with a company who have many offices in HK and do a transfer from there, by then you should have honed your Cantonese enough and be at a much better position not fighting with 1000s of applicants.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)