Best number of units to have for HSC (1 Viewer)

breitil

HSC
So my school isn't letting us drop down to 10 units because apparently 12 is optimum for the HSC. I'm sure there have been students who have achieved 90-95+ for their ATAR with 10 units but I don't know if I should just pick up Extension 2 English or Extension History just for the sake of having a buffer and to just be able to drop Chem or not. Any advice?

iStudent

HSC
I did 12 and I have no regrets. I did well in all of them and I'm quite thankful tbh (*cough* shipwrekt 7 marker in chem)

breitil

HSC
It's hard though :/ Right now I'm doing 14 units (technically) because I'm trialing both the Extension courses just in case I don't like them and stick to my 12. I have 2 subjects I'm not doing well in (both worth 2 units). If I drop chem and stick to 10, I won't have a buffer and I'll still have that 2U subject I suck at (plus it'll be pain to talk with the school). If I drop chem and pick up one of the Extensions, I'll have a major and that'll be hard work with my load. Even if I do pick up Ext, I wouldn't know which one to pick :/

QZP

HSC
I don't get it. Just do the minimum and spend your time focusing and doing well on all your 10 units? Then you don't need a 'safety net'...???
+1 this was my logic. There was no way I was going to stuff up an exam to the point where I need a "backup" subject. And also I was lazy as hell (who doesn't want free periods and more free time in general e.g. from less studying?)

iStudent

HSC
I don't get it. Just do the minimum and spend your time focusing and doing well on all your 10 units? Then you don't need a 'safety net'...???
I disagree. Externals are quite unpredictable and you may become unlucky in getting e.g. a 7 marker that may screw your whole exam up (me for chemistry). Also, you may be under prepared for humanity subjects such as economics and fail to properly attempt the extended response. Stuff like this means having a safety net lets you account for these things. But tbh idk how useful it is I'll see after my results come out. (while year I better that eco won't count for me but after externals idk anymore :/)

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
I did 10 units. It enabled me to focus all my study into 5 subjects whereas if I did 11 or 12 units, it would 'spread' myself out. I didn't care too much about a safety net as I did reasonably well in high school. I would NEVER consider 14 units because I believe it's too much and that would spread my study out too much.

This is just my opinion though. In the end, the number of units you want to do is entirely up to you.

callipygian

HSC
I did 13 and loved them all, any workload is possible if you're committed to it.
that being said, 11 is probably ideal for maximum atars

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Did 12 was committed half the year for all 12, then just lazed off and winged the 11th/12th units. Was worth it though. Had to let off my steam somehow.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I did twelve units so I would have a safety net. I'm intending for Biology not to count.

skillstriker

HSC
If you're confident with your subjects and are able to perform well under exam pressure I'd recommend doing 10 units - it lets you focus all your attention on those subjects and ultimately maximise your marks/ATAR.

That's what worked for me anyway!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)