• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Best Professional Associations (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Which are the better Associations and how do they differ, I already know about CA/CPA, but what about the others

Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA)
• Chartered Accountant (CA)
• Professional National Accountant (PNA)
• Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
* National Institute of Accountants NIA
*Australian Institute of Banking and Finance AIBF
* ASIC licenses

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If you end up working at a Big4 as a graduate, they'll want you to undertake the CA Program. I guess its the hardest and most prestigious postgrad qualification

theone123

blue essence
HSC
asic? na u dont need that, aibf is very good if you work in banks, nia and pna is same stuff, pna is like fcpa for cpa.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Minai said:
If you end up working at a Big4 as a graduate, they'll want you to undertake the CA Program. I guess its the hardest and most prestigious postgrad qualification
Im asking cause im trying to pick undergrad units, and i have 3 open slots at lvl 200 and 300, ive already choosen units for CA and CPA

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
CA and CPA have almost exactly the same prereq subjects, except with CPA, you also have to do a Computer Information Systems subject. Also, you can do either Auditing or Taxation Law, you don't have to do both(I think)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Minai said:
CA and CPA have almost exactly the same prereq subjects, except with CPA, you also have to do a Computer Information Systems subject. Also, you can do either Auditing or Taxation Law, you don't have to do both(I think)
Shit i thought you have to do both Auditing and CPA, anyways i wanna do both, and CPA has alot more prerequisites then CA does

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Minai said:
As far as I understand, you can only do the Auditing and Taxation Law sections in the CPA program if you've done those subjects as part of your Accounting major, otherwise you don't have to do them. You can do both (and most people do probably). See in the past, you didn't have to do the Auditing and Law subjects in Accounting to gain entry into CPA (only CA), but now you have to I think.

As for information systems, well most of the time (well at UTS at least) it's integrated into your other business subjects, but you'll have to check your course structure, but yes it is required by CPA along with marketing, management and statistics.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You can gain professional or associate level membership into the Australian Computer Society (ACS) if you graduate with an accredited Information Technology or Computer Science degree or major.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
cfa is the most recognised finance qualification internationally. sia postgrad is equivalent in status.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
you do know that ca and cpa arent just 'associations' that you join after your degree. it is whole other degree, i hear its really really hard.
as others have said, if u want big 4, go with CA.

turtleface

HSC
Yes, you can become a CPA/FCPA; CA/FCA and PNA/MNIA or FPNA/FNIA

One who comes to mind who is all 3 is Jeffrey Lucy, the Chair of ASIC

Wow this thread is like from 2 years ago

Last edited:

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
wow now thats what I call prestige. Damn Straight :p.

Imagine "Jane Citizen CPA/FCPA; CA/FCA and PNA/MNIA" :eek:

And yea, magpam resurrected an olllllld thread lol

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
AppleXY said:
wow now thats what I call prestige. Damn Straight :p.

Imagine "Jane Citizen CPA/FCPA; CA/FCA and PNA/MNIA" :eek:

And yea, magpam resurrected an olllllld thread lol
It is a generally accepted fact that the more postnomials you have, the bigger wank you are. ;)

CA is more internationally recognised, more prestigious, harder.

CPA is mainly preferred for Australian-based commercial positions.

You basically won't have a choice in what you do- it is your employer!

HSC
N/A

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
To the best of my knowledge, among the major professional bodies only CA, CPA and the Institute of Actuaries have those hard and fast rules on what uni subjects you need to have completed.

CFA does not have those prerequisites, and I don't think FINSIA does either (not 100% on the FINSIA).

I think Redrum made an interesting note in his earlier post that your employer, or more often, the person that you work under in your first graduate role, will probably have the greatest influence in determining what professional accreditation you obtain.

When I worked in a commercial firm, I noticed that there was only one or two people that were studying CA, and they did so because they were working for CAs at the time. The rest of the finance team was all CPA qualified, or studying CPA.

Big4s typically have a requirement that in audit, their staff be CA-qualified or studying for the CA. Hence all their grads study for CA.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
FINSIA has the requirement of any bachelors degree for some of their courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)