Best scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Should I do PDHPE for medicine? I’m picking between ancient history and pdhpe and pdhpe has a bad rap and stuff
If you are seeking high(er) scaling subjects as a means of assisting you in achieving a high ATAR, then perhaps taking Ancient History would meet this need.

However, in terms of subject knowledge and relevance with respect to studying medicine, the content taught in Ancient History is likely not to have any relationship with medicine, whereas PDHPE can be considered to be somewhat related to medicine content-wise. For example, the HSC Option 3: Sports Medicine is concerned with the specific issues of prevention, assessment, management of and recovery from sports injury.

satvik_1008

HSC
That's actually what I thought (about needing a 99.5+ ATAR or thereabouts to get into medicine), but in fact, there's a lot of universities which don't require a 99+ ATAR. Even within NSW, for WSU and JMP, the minimum ATARs needed are like 95.5 (non-GWS) and 94. The great thing is that these are only thresholds, meaning that someone who gets 96 compared to someone who gets 99 won't be disadvantaged, as their outcome will rely heavily or entirely on their interview performance. But I agree that getting a 99.5+ ATAR opens up your options to a whole lot universities.
oh yes yes they advertise them as their minimum atars but to get in with such an atar you basically need a 99 percentile in UCAT (Good luck), they always advertise those as their minimum atars but in terms of admitting people they really only let in those with a 99+. even unsw says its minimum 9s 96 but in 2020 interview rounds the lowest atar was 99.25

satvik_1008

HSC
Any tips on achieving 99+ Atar studywise and lifestyle wise?
number one thing you need to get organised, you need to have very clear goals (not just big ones but small ones, day to day week to week goals in terms of what you want to get done AND YOU NEED TO GET INTO THE HABIT OF ACHIEVING THEM MORE AND MORE <-- WHERE I FAILED). also aim high, if you need a 99, aim for a 99.5, if you need a 99.5 aim for a 99.8, etc you will always do worse than what you aim
Second of all, if you want a 99 you will have to make a lot of sacrifices. getting a 99 is not easy there's a reason there is so much prestige around it. Girlfriend/boyfriend, forget it (unless you are in a pretty stable long term relationship and you are confident you can balance with your studies) --> I've seen many friends get destroyed because they focused too much on dating, leaving out time for atar grind
keep a balanced lifestyle. what I mean with this mark a clear delination between when you are studying and not studying. when you are studying you should have no distractions and be in the zone 100% No discord open in another tab, alt tabbing between ur english essay and mates, you need to be able tobe focused. but you needdowntime too, but in that downtime you should really try not think about atarand that kind of stuff , you need time to let all of that stuff go

hopefully this helps!

nzexperiment

HSC
number one thing you need to get organised, you need to have very clear goals (not just big ones but small ones, day to day week to week goals in terms of what you want to get done AND YOU NEED TO GET INTO THE HABIT OF ACHIEVING THEM MORE AND MORE <-- WHERE I FAILED). also aim high, if you need a 99, aim for a 99.5, if you need a 99.5 aim for a 99.8, etc you will always do worse than what you aim
Second of all, if you want a 99 you will have to make a lot of sacrifices. getting a 99 is not easy there's a reason there is so much prestige around it. Girlfriend/boyfriend, forget it (unless you are in a pretty stable long term relationship and you are confident you can balance with your studies) --> I've seen many friends get destroyed because they focused too much on dating, leaving out time for atar grind
keep a balanced lifestyle. what I mean with this mark a clear delination between when you are studying and not studying. when you are studying you should have no distractions and be in the zone 100% No discord open in another tab, alt tabbing between ur english essay and mates, you need to be able tobe focused. but you needdowntime too, but in that downtime you should really try not think about atarand that kind of stuff , you need time to let all of that stuff go

hopefully this helps!
what atar u get?

nzexperiment

HSC
well I finished hsc this year so idk but I'm expecting high 98 or low 99. I'm commenting off both of my mistakes and the positive attributes of kids I've observed do good atmy school
ah nice, what course?

Jojofelyx

HSC
oh yes yes they advertise them as their minimum atars but to get in with such an atar you basically need a 99 percentile in UCAT (Good luck), they always advertise those as their minimum atars but in terms of admitting people they really only let in those with a 99+. even unsw says its minimum 9s 96 but in 2020 interview rounds the lowest atar was 99.25
Nope.
WSU and JMP have thresholds that you have to meet to get an offer. So a student who gets 99.95 and a 94 are the same in both of those programs' eyes.
The process for selection works as such for both of those programs:

1. Sit ucat and get score
2. Sit tight until interview invites come out (Top x number of students will get an interview offer from the two programs, based solely off the ucat score. However WSU has a different weighting for the sections, so as to not get identical students to JMP, although there is still a significant overlap in who gets the interview invites)
3. Do your interview if you get one (for an offer into JMP, its based 100% on the interview, so you just need to meet the threshold of 94 or whatever it is, higher doesnt help out one bit in this case. The hard part is getting the interview invite in the first place. For an offer into WSU its based off 75% interview and 25% ucat score, again there is just a simple threshold you need to meet for ATAR, if you meet it, higher doesnt help in any way).

The only NSW university for which a higher ATAR is useful, is UNSW, because it weights ATAR, UCAT and Interview as being 33% each, for their final ranking, of which the top students get the place offers. Naturally the people who will tend to get in are going to be above that threshold, but thats simply due to the greater likelihood that they have practised more for interviews and/or ucat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)