• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

best way to quote historians? (1 Viewer)

orly?

HSC
what would you recommend?
(in exams AND assignments)

e.g 1) As mentioned by Pliny the Younger, Mt.Vesuvius was [...]

e.g. 2) "Pompeii was [...]" (Pliny the Younger, Natural History, 3.60)

X

xeuyrawp

It's great to do it both ways, I think. Break it up a little. Generally number 1's good for paraphrasing a historian, while 2's needed for direct quotes of longer nature.

You generally don't have to name the work/title in exams, although I think ancient titles should be. Just my opinion. Definitely no page numbers needed, and, personally, I would never encourage students to memorise book numbers - it detracts from learning more quotes.

So in the exam:

-----

As mentioned by Pliny the Younger, in his Natural Histori, Vesuvius was 'a very big mountain'. He also tells us that it exploded with a great bang.

-----

[Edit: Er, in the exam, you underline, not italicise. Underlining's what you do when you can't italicise. :) ]

First sentence = direct quotation, second sentence = paraphrasing.

For assignments, ask your teacher if they want you to footnote, and how they want you to reference. Noone here can tell you how to do that, it's up to your teacher. Stylistically, though, the way above is a good way to incorporate quotations into your essays - having a combination of direct and indirect citations is the key.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)