• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Best Year 12 study guide? (1 Viewer)

cricket_freak

HSC
hay ummm....can anyone tell me the best technique of conquering HSC eco usin' leadin edge book. hay and by the way wat year eco book are u usin?eg 2004

thanks

cricket_freak

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
my way of conquering eco (if i ever did)
was to read everything once
understand it once
copy once
summarise once..then summarise again and again and again till i can remember most
so in the end, i onli got little dot pts to memorise

then i collect newspapers. highlight current econmics. if u bothered to do that, the info generally stuck wif u till later dates

Riviet

HSC
N/A
cricket_freak said:
hay ummm....can anyone tell me the best technique of conquering HSC eco usin' leadin edge book. hay and by the way wat year eco book are u usin?eg 2004

thanks

cricket_freak
I agree with mitsui, read through the text book, try to understand it, summarise it by following the dot points in the syllabus, and learn the concepts. Read the newspaper, especially the economics/business sections like the Financial Review. By the way, I'm using the 2006 edition of the leading edge textbook.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Riviet said:
Read the newspaper, especially the economics/business sections like the Financial Review.
ANotehr great way to keep up to date with Current Economic data is to watch ABC News' Finance segments in the 7pm news. The guy goes through all the economic data releases of the day, and puts up some very interesting charts and graphs and then explains it all. It kept me well informed of the current economic situation both domestically and internationally. (The guy is on holidays atm, but the segments will be on again in mid-Jan)

As for the Study guides, do summaries based on the structure of the Syllabus. Summaries i found are a good start for understanding the basic characteristics of each element of the course. HOWEVER, the relationships between dot points are a vital part of learning economics, as everything is related to each other, (i.e a change in inflation can affect spending, taxation, economic policies, just about everything etc etc etc.....) This is mainly the case for Topics 3+4. I advise doing a mind map or a visual representation of some of the key relationships involved.
For Topics 1 and 2, summaries will suffice, but in Topics 3 and 4 you really do need to grasp an understanding of how everything links to each other.

If you really want to conquer economics, do lots of practise questions from textbooks, past papers etc, as 1) The types of questions asked remains laregly the same and 2) It forces you to develop a relationships based response looking at the larger picture; something that learning through summaries of a LINEAR syllabus cannot give you.

Last edited:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Well the technique varies from person to person. However, with Economics, its a really chancy subject, my first advice to you would be to either go to Leading Edge Tuition [It may be abit expensive, but it's worth it! I've gone there for Year 12. Start it for the 1st term and try it out!] You'll find the most useful things at Leading Edge, like past exam papers from almost every school in Sydney + extremely useful acronyms [which I will not disclose, XD since I personally know some tutors.]

Otherwise, haha you could try tutoring with Tim Riley's Tutor, which I believe is advertised in Economic resources somewhere in this sub-forum --> creative classrooms.

However, if you're a text-book type person, you'll find that using only 1 source will not be near as resourceful. In fact, its better to use at least 2 in combo, I used around 3. But Leading Edge's one is good for beginners to Economics.

Secondly, economics is not like science or chemistry where you just throw out things from your brain [Well part of it, for the Short Answers Section and Multiple Choice in the HSC/trial exams], but the big marks will be in Essays where you'll need to complete 2 out of the 4 possible choices in your HSC. Hence the reason why you need efficient ways to remember certain things, our tutor, Ankit provided us with some really interesting ways to remember what happens with Interest Rates.

E.g. SSSS --> Sexy Sally sells securities --> So my interest rate goes up.
BBBS ---> Boring Bob buys securities --> so my interest rate goes down.

That's just a hint of what you'll learn, it makes economics a really fun and interesting subject, though be prepared, once you get into topics 3 & 4, you'll find alot of repetition and crosslinking, in fact all 4 core topics that u learn in Economics will be interlinked, i.e. anything in the global economy will in some way affect the domestic economy [i.e. Australia].

Once you understand the core stuff, I'd suggest you to probably register and maybe subscribe to Economist.com, which provides you with really in-depth economic articles, mostly for Global Economy.

Well...that's the start of it. Later on I'll post up a Guide for Economics Students.

HSC
For 05 HSC i used the 05 leading edge text, my school orders new ones each year to keep up to date. I remember looking at the thickness of it when studying and wanting to cry!
What I found to be really effective is reading a chapter once or twice, writing out key points and then most importantly doing the chapter review questions - they really make you get the good stuff out of each chapter. Then the paragraph/dot point answers to each question became my study notes :) and it really kept my mind focused on each area when studying all year and worked well for me, i ended up with 94 in eco. Though everyone learns differently. For all my subs, I used to also read stuff aloud and then pretend i was teaching someone (ie my bedroom wall :rolleyes: )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)