• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

big 4 cadetships (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
ive visited their sites and all their applications arent open yet (not until july 1st i think). i just wanna make sure that this is correct and im not blindly missing the application

leoyh

mic`
HSC
LOL most sites applications arent open yet, but they sure as hell open before the 1st of july cause applications close before then LOL

MTP

HSC
are they ONLY accounting? bah, i dnt want to do accounting ffs.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
nah its not just accounting, theres tax and legal too. and also, accounting is audit and advisory so its pretty cool

MTP

HSC
leoyh said:
nah its not just accounting, theres tax and legal too. and also, accounting is audit and advisory so its pretty cool
legal? as in business/law? if so, what companies are hosting cadetships for it?

HSC
leoyh said:
there's no advisory div for cadets

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
the tax and legal = big 4 = don't think law. think doing tax returns on a grander/more prestigious scale. If you hate accounting you won't like tax and legal either.

Chances are however that you have nfi what accounting involves on a high level and shouldn't worry about it as no matter what if you're straight out of highschool you can be sure you'll be doing 'detailed work' regardless of your supposed 'field'

Align the experience you plan to get on to what you want your ultimate career path to be rather than the specific work you'll be doing as a fresh kid stepping into the real world

leoyh

mic`
HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
there's no advisory div for cadets
at ernst and young theres a division called audit, assurance and business advisory services

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
yes, but they don't hire cadets for advisory services. it's either audit (i.e. assurance) and tax/legal.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
they can take cadets in areas such as insolvency which fall under the advisory umbrella

really though if you want to move into advisory doing so as a grad with audit/tax experience is practically a sure thing

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
at ICAA cadet nite most companies said they take cadets in business advisory as well...??

roadcone

HSC
business advisory - think a little bit of everything (i.e. accounts, tax, planning etc). i personally would stay away from these divisions.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Business advisory = only applicable to tiny clients

You're not going to 'do a bit of everything' for Macquarie Bank, for instance

Again, consider whether you want a mid-tier career or a corporate career, they're vastly different things

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Agree with Vagabond on his earlier post - once you are in, it's much easier to move across divisions here at EY. Partners know that its in their best interests to keep you in the firm, so they will support you moving across into business advisory, tax etc after you've done your 2 years in audit. If you choose to stay in audit for example when you come back after you finish uni, you'll come back as an experienced hire and hence be ranked (and paid) accordingly.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Vagabond said:
You're not going to 'do a bit of everything' for Macquarie Bank, for instance
haha good call. coffee making, photocopying, getting lindt hot chocolates for the team, etc... that's a bit of everything isn't it?

ps note to anyone asking about cadetships and taking this seriously: i'm joking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)