big difference between assesment and body of work marks? (1 Viewer)

walugi

HSC
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what to do when your Body of Work fares significantly higher than your internal assesment mark? In my case it was nearly a difference of 20, out of a possible 50 marks for the subject.

I am going to go talk to the school but does anyone have experience in stuff like this happening before?

thanks alot :3

helper

HSC
N/A
Happens each year. The BoW is based on a final product. The assessment is based on the performance over the year. Some people are good at working to a final deadline but are not consistent.

On top of that it depends on the skills and processes each were marked on.

G

gaoOO

walugi said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what to do when your Body of Work fares significantly higher than your internal assesment mark? In my case it was nearly a difference of 20, out of a possible 50 marks for the subject.

I am going to go talk to the school but does anyone have experience in stuff like this happening before?

thanks alot :3
I don't actually do art, but i assume that internal assessment mark was based on your work throughout the year, so obviously you didn't do well throughout the year, but did better in the exam and/or final submitted work. It's entirely possible to have such a gap.

walugi

HSC
it's not art, its extension 2 english. The assessments, assess your ideas and development throughout the year. And i got a really low mark for it, which would indicate that my Body of Work would not be successful, except it was.

My problem is that the projected outcome (the assessments) is so different from the actual outcome (the Body of Work) mark.

Hope you guys understand what i'm trying to get at

forevaunited

HSC
i agree to an extent .. . the difference in marks seems a substantial gap but .. . i dont do ext 2 so im not 100% that im correct in saying this but the assessments are not meant to predict or forsee what mark you are going to get in the external assessment.

Isn't it supposed to be about your progression through creating this body of work and how your thoughts and ideas change. also they are given in weighted amounts, perhaps meaning that you could have done little work for the first couple then crammed it all in the end, producing this really good piece of work. However in that case their isn't much consistency in your progression and maybe you got marked down for that?

G

gaoOO

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
oh. perhaps your teacher was just a douchebag who didnt like your ideas, and the markers saw it differently.
whoops sorry there. I saw BoW and thought "art!"
But if it's ex2 english, then what happens is that the school doesn't mark you on the final product, only the research and writing PROCESS, which means that if you are consistent throughout the year in producing the final work, then you will score well, even if your final work is not of a great standard.

The mark difference would probably then be due to your final product being excellent, but it was (excuse my presumptions) probably rushed and you probably didn't work well at it throughout the year.

the external mark and internal mark for ext2 have no correlation

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Yeah. Guy at my school topped Eng Adv, Eng Ext and Eng Ext two. He topped ext with an average of 100% and was really into it as it was something he was passionate about (everything at my school did crit). But looking in the paper he didn't get a band six for ext 2 and my friend who was rank 2 (85% or so) got 48 in it, meaning he did really badly externally which I feel bad about.

SOR was compulsary at my school and it was my 11th unit and didn't care. Everything was done night before and walked of out exams. Getting bare passes or fails. In the exam room I figured I may as well try and got a 44/50 which was great! but my rank of 44/110 (with a 60% average :|) made my internal 37 which was kinda funny.

walugi

HSC
gaoOO said:
whoops sorry there. I saw BoW and thought "art!"
But if it's ex2 english, then what happens is that the school doesn't mark you on the final product, only the research and writing PROCESS, which means that if you are consistent throughout the year in producing the final work, then you will score well, even if your final work is not of a great standard.

The mark difference would probably then be due to your final product being excellent, but it was (excuse my presumptions) probably rushed and you probably didn't work well at it throughout the year.

the external mark and internal mark for ext2 have no correlation
I understand what you're trying to say, but with a low assessment mark that would mean a poor outcome. But that was would I had needed to write a high 40s answer in the weeks between the last assessment and the date the works were due.

And as for the teachers evaluating the process, my teach lost my work every time I gave it to her.

@everyone else: I read your replies too, thanks for your input!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)